• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, sidewinder said:

lighthouse69.jpeg

King pressing.

It's youuuur thing + Wayne = !!!!

6 hours ago, paul secor said:

Probably not if you raise the arm within a short time.

Yes, I usually don't change sides right away, so I was a bit surprised. Reading a bit online, I am still miles and miles away from the Fully-Manual-Is-The-Only-way-To-Listen-To-Music purists.

Today has been:

Laurent de Wilde - New Monk Trio

The Jazz Messengers - Soul Finger (how come Bartz is credited nowhere!)

Duke Ellington - Piano Reflections (finally listening to this beauty!!)

R-725638-1152289889.jpeg.jpg  Mustang_%28Curtis_Amy_album%29.jpg  R-11190159-1511549604-2887.jpeg.jpg

Three very different LPs tonight, spun in the correct ( :) ) order:

Derek Bailey/George Lewis/John Zorn - Yankees (Celluloid/OAO). I don't have as much patience with "non-idiomatic free improvisation" as I used to, probably because there's so much of it in Atlanta and it's almost always terrible. I hadn't spun Yankees in probably five years, but dang! It's great. I love how Zorn usually chooses to act as a foil / goad to the other players rather than taking a cooperative role.

Curtis Amy - Mustang (Verve mono). Tonight's spin of the fun, unimportant album was prompted by the fact that I just found out the "Eva Harris" who sings Percy Mayfield's  "Please Send Me Someone to Love" is in reality the great Merry Clayton, who was married to Amy. I'm kind of slow, I guess.

Preservation Hall Jazz Band - Run Stop & Drop (The Needle). At one time I would have been horrified by the way Ben Jaffe has turned the main Preservation Hall touring band into something of an R & B band. At this point in my life and the life of Preservation Hall, I think it's a pretty cool development.

And for good measure:

P1010020-1.jpg

Fats Domino - Have You Seen My Baby?/Make Me Belong to You (Reprise single). Randy Newman wrote "Have You Seen My Baby?" for Fats - it's in Domino's style, but with just enough Newman oddness to be a bit of a stretch for Fat. It was recorded during the 1968 Fats is Back sessions, but not included on that album.

Edited by jeffcrom

4 hours ago, jeffcrom said:

And for good measure:

P1010020-1.jpg

Fats Domino - Have You Seen My Baby?/Make Me Belong to You (Reprise single). Randy Newman wrote "Have You Seen My Baby?" for Fats - it's in Domino's style, but with just enough Newman oddness to be a bit of a stretch for Fat. It was recorded during the 1968 Fats is Back sessions, but not included on that album.

Good one ....