Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 2/10/2018 at 8:07 AM, Kevin Bresnahan said:

Bobby Hutcherson - Four Seasons. Nice date. Killer band too - Hutcherson with George Cables, Herbie Lewis & Philly Joe Jones.

Image result for bobby hutcherson four seasons

i want the cd of this, this is like european blue note.  i like how its 1985 and philly joe jones is on drums, he could of got weckl for half the price ;);) 

14 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

how is that? I have seen a Finnish RCA pressing (1960s) before, but wasn't sure if the music would be up my alley or not.

Sorry to disappoint, my copy is a recent reissue. The music strikes me as highly original. Much as I love Lars Gullin the music here sounds both strikingly and obviously Scandinavia. Not bad for £4 from Fopp! 

Thanks -- will have to check it out. I do like Gullin though some of it is a little 'soft' for my Americanized ears. I guess it's the same problem I have with some (not all) Mulligan. I like punchy arrangements and husky baritone playing. But then again I've heard Mats Gustafsson play Gullin live and that well-placed caress can be just as hardcore as anything else.

On 2/21/2018 at 5:36 PM, optatio said:

31901343vs.jpg

ARCHIE SHEPP WITH THE NEW YORK CONTEMPORARY 5: IN EUROPE. DELMARK DS-409 (DS 9409) [s.d.]

That image of Shepp was taken by Bill Abernathy at the Down Beat Jazz Festival when Archie was playing with John Coltrane. I was at the performance and selected that photo for the cover.