What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

14 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

That image of Shepp was taken by Bill Abernathy at the Down Beat Jazz Festival when Archie was playing with John Coltrane. I was at the performance and selected that photo for the cover.

Interesting to read. Do you have been involved here too?

31911971ec.jpg

ARCHIE SHEPP SOLO CONCERT, Worcester, February 11, 1980

• Replies 55.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have had a couple of copies of that DGG box over the years and tend to agree. Wired is probably the best in there. Glad to see Iskra 1903 represented but feel that the Incus set and of course the Wachsmann era far eclipse what's in these grooves. I used to be way into New Phonic Art and the aggressiveness of this particular album but the one I return to -- if any -- is the Wergo, or for that matter, Kagel's Exotica LP. 

Sonny Rollins - worktime (Prestige). Although it's a later pressing where the title became one word instead of two, it still has Van Gelder in the deadwax. Whoever owned this before me either played the hell out of it or he/she had one of those old-fashioned ceramic cartridges. The vinyl surface is almost white - lots of surface noise. I had to wet clean it to clear some of it.

One of my favorite Sonny records.

R-4149445-1356928240-9034.jpeg.jpg

Wow, what a difference between Side 1 & Side 2. Side 2 is mint... looks unplayed. Clearly the previous owner only liked Side 1. :)

Edited by Kevin Bresnahan

2 hours ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

Sonny Rollins - worktime (Prestige). Although it's a later pressing where the title became one word instead of two, it still has Van Gelder in the deadwax. Whoever owned this before me either played the hell out of it or he/she had one of those old-fashioned ceramic cartridges. The vinyl surface is almost white - lots of surface noise. I had to wet clean it to clear some of it.

One of my favorite Sonny records.

R-4149445-1356928240-9034.jpeg.jpg

Wow, what a difference between Side 1 & Side 2. Side 2 is mint... looks unplayed. Clearly the previous owner only liked Side 1. :)

Wow, that's a variant I've never seen. Who wrote the liner notes? My copy (bought in 1974) looks like this and has liner notes by Oranissmo's Qon Larry Kart, and they are typically memorable.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

Wow, that's a variant I've never seen. Who wrote the liner notes? My copy (bought in 1974) looks like this and has liner notes by Oragnissmo's Qon Larry Kart, and they are typically memorable.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

The one I have appears to be a 1962 reissue with liner notes by Joe Goldberg. This is the best I could find:

R-6901621-1430575227-9835.jpeg.jpg

It does mention Sonny's 1961 sabbatical, so I think I have the right date.

This ebay listing has a nicer shot of the back cover that allows zoom: https://www.ebay.com/itm/SONNY-ROLLINS-MAX-ROACH-RAY-BRYANT-WORKTIME-1962-PRESTIGE-7246-DG-RVG-NM-VINYL/352288771671?hash=item52060c0e57:g:q50AAOSw3sJaj4kX

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by Kevin Bresnahan

Thanks, that most enjoyable!

I love those ongoing Prestige reissues with then-current liner notes replacing the originals. That's where the OJC things really fall flat, imo. There's, if not a motherlode, then at least a mother-in-law load of provocative(enough) reading there that is just going to waste these days. I'd love a collection of all them, originals + god knows how many iterations over the years. Not gonna happen, but still, fun in a box, some assembly required, batteries at your own risk, etc.

But geez, Joe Goldberg wrote some fine notes there. So did Larry Kart. 8 years later (and think about all that happened in those 8 years, not jsut to Rollins, but to everybody). For that matter, Ira Gitler's originals were not bad by any means, but if you want historical perspective (and not everybody does, to be sure, the...read 'em all. Otherwise, it's like, oh, my favorite Sonny records are Worktime, Way Out west, Alfie, and +3, and god, those are not at all the same records telling the same story, Again, not that it has to or should matter, but...history exists, whether we know about it or not. There's always that.

32-038-r-r.jpg

7 hours ago, JSngry said:

Thanks, that most enjoyable!

I love those ongoing Prestige reissues with then-current liner notes replacing the originals. That's where the OJC things really fall flat, imo. There's, if not a motherlode, then at least a mother-in-law load of provocative(enough) reading there that is just going to waste these days. I'd love a collection of all them, originals + god knows how many iterations over the years. Not gonna happen, but still, fun in a box, some assembly required, batteries at your own risk, etc.

But geez, Joe Goldberg wrote some fine notes there. So did Larry Kart. 8 years later (and think about all that happened in those 8 years, not jsut to Rollins, but to everybody). For that matter, Ira Gitler's originals were not bad by any means, but if you want historical perspective (and not everybody does, to be sure, the...read 'em all. Otherwise, it's like, oh, my favorite Sonny records are Worktime, Way Out west, Alfie, and +3, and god, those are not at all the same records telling the same story, Again, not that it has to or should matter, but...history exists, whether we know about it or not. There's always that.

32-038-r-r.jpg

That Esquire disc was the first Rollins I bought.  At 27/6 it was a bargain. Twelve bob less that full price.  Asman's was the place to pick these up at that price.  This one could well have come from there.

17 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

I have had a couple of copies of that DGG box over the years and tend to agree. Wired is probably the best in there. Glad to see Iskra 1903 represented but feel that the Incus set and of course the Wachsmann era far eclipse what's in these grooves. I used to be way into New Phonic Art and the aggressiveness of this particular album but the one I return to -- if any -- is the Wergo, or for that matter, Kagel's Exotica LP. 

Yes, Wired is the highlight for me too. The New Phonic on Wergo is a real favourite and one of the reasons I bought the box.

I don't know the Kagel but will investigate

Edit to add: checked the Kagel on Discogs ÂŁÂŁÂŁ!!

Edited by mjazzg

20 hours ago, grooveyard said:

John S said:-   Asman's was the place to pick these up at that price.  This one could well have come from there.

I don't think so as Jim always put his code letters on the back of second hand LPs, see below:-

CA. edit jpg.jpg

My Worktime bought from Asman's late 50s just had 27/6.  Nothing else.