• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

R-7113511-1434004637-2371.jpeg.jpg

This record gives me rubber knees.

8 minutes ago, Clunky said:

Jackie McLean———-A fickle sonance——-(BN Toshiba)

A great set sounding better than ever courtesy of my new ( to me ) TT. Must did out other Toshibas and re-evaluate them too.

I love the Japanese Toshiba`s too. 

nam.jpeg

Subtitled "New York Section Composers of the 1970's"

Some great music on this from Sam Rivers, Mary Lou Williams, Gil Evans, Milford Graves and Sunny Murray

The Sunny Murray piece may be the stand out. It's credited to UMUM Quartet about which my initial searches finds nothing. Anyone know who they are?

Just now, sidewinder said:

What turntable did you get?

I replaced my Well Tempered Amadeus with a  VPI Prime. I have been struggling to change speeds on the WTA.  I only wanted a parallel shift (to something easier to use ) but wound up with a TTthat sounds many leagues better. 

Very nice, congrats. Never heard the VPI but have heard very good things about them. I use one of their RCMs and it is built like a tank, great quality.

Had great fun listening to the Linn this afternoon amidst the blizzards. Best thing to ever come out of Scotland..:huh::D

Adding a Radikal to LP12 really helped with the speed changes. Doesn’t do 78rpm though.

Edited by sidewinder

3 hours ago, mjazzg said:

nam.jpeg

Some great music on this from Sam Rivers, Mary Lou Williams, Gil Evans, Milford Graves and Sunny Murray

The Sunny Murray piece may be the stand out. It's credited to UMUM Quartet about which my initial searches finds nothing. Anyone know who they are?

Strangely, I've never owned this though I've seen it quite a few times in the racks. Can't find any credits for the Murray track though the short clip on the Smithsonian Folkways site does have tenor saxophone... of course the transfer is so bad it's hard to make an educated guess as to the participants.

3 hours ago, mjazzg said:

nam.jpeg

Info that I think I got from the Lord discography:

Middy Middleton - tenor sax; Edward Crockett - bass; Sunny Murray - drums; Philly Joe Jones - congas; Joe Lee Wilson - vocal; NYC, c. 1973 "This was originally recorded for the Creative Artist Program Record Edition by Desto Records."

ColtraneExpression.jpg

John Coltrane - Expression (Impulse). Nice original pressing that cost me all of a dollar in a junk shop in Bellingham, Washington.

3 hours ago, Clunky said:

I replaced my Well Tempered Amadeus with a  VPI Prime. I have been struggling to change speeds on the WTA.  I only wanted a parallel shift (to something easier to use ) but wound up with a TTthat sounds many leagues better. 

I hope you enjoy your VPI better than I did mine... I hated that tonearm. I dreaded setting the needle down on the record, as I could see it wobble back and forth for a few seconds as the tonearm pivot settled. In theory, a needle is the optimal tonearm pivot. In practice, I just didn't like it. I also could never get the anti-skate set right. They tell you to twist the wires for anti-skate, but that was too course.

I will say this, to make your life easier in setting the VTF and azimuth, get one of these: https://www.musicdirect.com/analog-accessories/soundsmith-counter-intuitive-for-vpi-tonearms It helped my sanity. :)

And please don't get me wrong - VPI is a highly respected turntable and I would never tell anyone that it's not a great turntable. I just didn't like it at all... and I really, really wanted to.

10 hours ago, jeffcrom said:

Info that I think I got from the Lord discography:

Middy Middleton - tenor sax; Edward Crockett - bass; Sunny Murray - drums; Philly Joe Jones - congas; Joe Lee Wilson - vocal; NYC, c. 1973 "This was originally recorded for the Creative Artist Program Record Edition by Desto Records."

Thank you

11 hours ago, tomatamot said:

But can they beat Ireland as well?;)

Unlikely but...

10 hours ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

I hope you enjoy your VPI better than I did mine... I hated that tonearm. I dreaded setting the needle down on the record, as I could see it wobble back and forth for a few seconds as the tonearm pivot settled. In theory, a needle is the optimal tonearm pivot. In practice, I just didn't like it. I also could never get the anti-skate set right. They tell you to twist the wires for anti-skate, but that was too course.

I will say this, to make your life easier in setting the VTF and azimuth, get one of these: https://www.musicdirect.com/analog-accessories/soundsmith-counter-intuitive-for-vpi-tonearms It helped my sanity. :)

And please don't get me wrong - VPI is a highly respected turntable and I would never tell anyone that it's not a great turntable. I just didn't like it at all... and I really, really wanted to.

I know what you mean about the tone arm wobble as you set it down. I’ve found if you don’t hurry there’s really no problem. It’s much less hassle than my WTA. ( drive belt snapped frequently and was a major PITA to refit. I think I’ll be fine with my VPI

R-634462-1424257339-6195.jpeg.jpg

THIRD EYE Feat. WILTON GAYNAIR - CONNEXION

Wilton "Bogey" Gaynair: tenor and soprano saxophone, percussion,

Gerd Dudek: tenor saxophone and flute,
Ali Haurand: acoustic bass (Zalinge),

Frank Köllges: drums, percussion,
Rob van den Broeck: Fender Piano,

Arp-Odyssey Synthesizer,

Steve Boston: Congas

Recorded 29. and 30. August 1977 at Procom Studio in Kirchhellen, Germany