What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

Listened to some blues/r&b 45s this afternoon:

Ike Turner's Kings of Rhythm (w. Tommy Hodge on vocals: Down & Out/(I Know) You Don't Love Me

Frankie Lee Sims: My Talk Didn't Do Any Good
Smokey Smothers: I Can't Judge Nobody
Smokey Smothers: Honey, I Ain't Teasin'

Fention (sic) Robinson: You've Got To Pass This Way Again
Cousin Leroy: I'm lonesome
Tender Slim: I'm Checkin' Up (Jimmy Spruill on Guitar)

Piano Red: Jump Man Jump

• Replies 55.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mel Torme - Comin' Home Baby - Columbia (stereo)

Mel Tormie - A Time for Us - Capitol badass green and purple label

Piero Piccioni - The Tenth Victim OST - Mainstream (reprocessed stereo)

Oscar Brown Jr.  - Brother Where Are You? - Atlantic

Martin Denny - Exotic Percussion - Liberty (stereo)

Nat King Cole and George Shearing - Capitol (rainbow, mono)

Sinatra/Hefti - Swingin' Brass - Reprise ( mono)

The Best of Gabor Szabo - impulse! (stereo)

55 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Image result for More Images Vinny Golia ââ Openhearted

Vinny Golia - Openhearted [Nine Winds]

Alex Cline and Roberto Miranda make for a very tasty rhythm section and with Baikida Carroll onboard too. First listen and very pleased I took the punt.

I’ve only a couple of Golia’s and so really don’t have a good idea of what he’s about

NP

Annette Peacock/ Paul Bley———Dual Unity———(Bamboo)

37 minutes ago, Clunky said:

I’ve only a couple of Golia’s and so really don’t have a good idea of what he’s about

NP

Annette Peacock/ Paul Bley———Dual Unity———(Bamboo)

I only have this and a couple of others. I get the impression he's ploughed a fairly individual furrow, initially playing with a fairly consistent group of West Coast fellow travellers. His later discography features some very interesting collaborations. He seems to have mastered a wide range of woodwinds and likes to feature a good number on any release. If have a later solo disc which is very impressive.

I tend to dip into his discography every now and again and realise that I should do more often. Always adventurous but in a way that has a lightness of touch and space to the ensemble playing. I'm sure there's others on the board who know his work better

And, I'd love to hear that Peacock/Bley again. Heard it once at a friends a long time ago

today's other arrival

R-4537341-1367708384-2213.jpeg.jpg

Joe Farrell really stands out on initial listening

Edited by mjazzg

JAZZLP.15.COVER_.jpg

apologies for the oversized image...

fiery stuff from Mr Vesala and cohorts. Just released on the Svart label. Not too sure the three minutes of interview included will mean much outside his homeland audience though.Time for some Finnish lessons perhaps.

6 hours ago, mjazzg said:

JAZZLP.15.COVER_.jpg

apologies for the oversized image...

fiery stuff from Mr Vesala and cohorts. Just released on the Svart label. Not too sure the three minutes of interview included will mean much outside his homeland audience though.Time for some Finnish lessons perhaps.

looks very interesting , I've not come across this label

17 minutes ago, Clunky said:

looks very interesting , I've not come across this label

I happened upon them a month or so ago when hunting for any Juhani Aaltonen and contacted the label as they were pre=issue at that stage. They're Finnish Radio recordings. There's another with Aaltonen and Vesala in a quartet which I also bought. Recording quality is good. 

My next purchase will be their reissue of Nana by Vesala's trio as I'm not likely to find an original at an affordable price.

I got mine from Juno

20 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

I happened upon them a month or so ago when hunting for any Juhani Aaltonen and contacted the label as they were pre=issue at that stage. They're Finnish Radio recordings. There's another with Aaltonen and Vesala in a quartet which I also bought. Recording quality is good. 

My next purchase will be their reissue of Nana by Vesala's trio as I'm not likely to find an original at an affordable price.

I got mine from Juno

Thanks for that , I can’t seem find that at Juno but I’m navigating using my phone. I did notice that Hot Lotta is due for reissue. 

22 minutes ago, Clunky said:

Thanks for that , I can’t seem find that at Juno but I’m navigating using my phone. I did notice that Hot Lotta is due for reissue. 

no, they're not there are they. Maybe they only stocked one of each! I've found their restock email featuie works well (wish they'd post with stiffeners though - my only gripe with them)

I have a CD of Hot Lotta somewhere.Now that is fiery, from memory

4 hours ago, paul secor said:

R-2960362-1309254542.jpeg.jpg

Booker Little 4 and Max Roach

Probably the worst recorded music I've ever heard from Nola's. They got Booker's trumpet right, but everyone else is somewhere in the distance.

I bought this recently and I was staggered at the  poor quality of the recording. I wondered if mono issues might be better. Interesting music but marred by dreadful audio. 

4 hours ago, paul secor said:

R-2960362-1309254542.jpeg.jpg

Booker Little 4 and Max Roach

Probably the worst recorded music I've ever heard from Nola's. They got Booker's trumpet right, but everyone else is somewhere in the distance.

I was never able to generate much love for this one.