• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, mjazzg said:

Al Francis, John Neves, Joe Hunt - Jazz Bohemia Revisited [Lost Cosmic Unity]

I'm forever grateful to Paul Secor for posting this LP a while ago and therefore alerting me to its delights

Glad I led you to seek out a great record. The musicians are the ones who deserve your thanks much more than I.

uploaded by Al Francis himself it seems... he also uploaded a few live videos on the same channel

https://www.youtube.com/user/jazzbohemia/videos?shelf_id=0&view=0&sort=dd

and on another one

https://www.youtube.com/user/jazzvibes251/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=2

sound quality is mixed (including cases where the sound is missing altogether) but sidemen include Cecil McBee or (here) Jack Walrath:

23 hours ago, Niko said:

R-1517668-1336999544-1639.jpeg.jpg

Not Much Noise, a trio of Mike Zwerin (bass trumpet), Christian Escoude (guitar) and Gus Nemeth (bass), live in Warsaw 1978

There is a studio recording by the same trio where they perform "Treffpunkt", one of the 15 pieces that constitute Stockhausen's monumental "Aus den sieben Tagen".

Mike Zwerin really has a rather interesting CV.

19 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

International Harvester -- Remains (live record 2) -- (Silence, SWE)

really nice boxed set that collects the two original LPs and three albums of previously unreleased live recordings.

Yes, that box sure looks tempting, especially if those unreleased recordings would be closer to Pärson Sound's more "outside" stuff. Are they? 

read Zwerin's two autobiographies in the past few weeks - an amazing life story indeed - and was then very happy to stumble upon that album, being a big fan of Christian Escoude anyway ... actually, I maybe should have bought the other one with the Stockhausen piece, too, when I saw it on Friday... but Zwerin wrote that the Polish LP of the trio was the better one...

5 minutes ago, Niko said:

read Zwerin's two autobiographies in the past few weeks - an amazing life story indeed - and was then very happy to stumble upon that album, being a big fan of Christian Escoude anyway ... actually, I maybe should have bought the other one with the Stockhausen piece, too, when I saw it on Friday... but Zwerin wrote that the Polish LP of the trio was the better one...

Another thumbs up for Christian Escoude .... and the Spotlite LP is very good ....

26 minutes ago, Niko said:

I'm very intrigued by that line up. I tried to find a sample of the music online but failed. How would you describe the music? In my mind I'm thinking quite chamber-jazz, something Giuffre-esque in style if not actual sound?

Edited by mjazzg

30 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

I'm very intrigued by that line up. I tried to find a sample of the music online but failed. How would you describe the music? In my mind I'm thinking quite chamber-jazz, something Giuffre-esque in style if not actual sound?

Maybe Giuffre with Django Reinhardt in place of Jim Hall? You can still hear a few tracks from the Spotlite album on Mike Zwerin's homepage (http://mikezwerin.com/) if you click on Music and scroll to the bottom...

14 minutes ago, Niko said:

Maybe Giuffre with Django Reinhardt in place of Jim Hall? You can still hear a few tracks from the Spotlite album on Mike Zwerin's homepage (http://mikezwerin.com/) if you click on Music and scroll to the bottom...

Thank you Niko, that's what I'd imagined and hoped it might sound like. I'd visited Zwerin's site and missed the clips there, so thanks for that too.

I just found both LPs quite cheaply priced online so may well follow your lead. I'm definitely intrigued

Edited by mjazzg