• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

One of today's arrivals

R-2340267-1278113044.jpeg.jpg

Ornette Coleman - An Evening With Ornette Coleman [International Polydor]

Heaven only knows why I've waited so long to hear this but the advantage lies in hearing new-to-me Ornette music of such a high standard for the first time

Edited by mjazzg

34 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

One of today's arrivals

R-2340267-1278113044.jpeg.jpg

Ornette Coleman - An Evening With Ornette Coleman [International Polydor]

Heaven only knows why I've waited so long to hear this but the advantage lies in hearing new-to-me Ornette music of such a high standard for the first time

It's a great set which I only added to my collection last year. I had a Japanese one volume and edition which omits a side of trio material and a side with strings ( roughly). The latter were much better than I expected.

On 22/03/2016 at 4:49 AM, Homefromtheforest said:

Kosuke Mine "out of chaos" (east wind, Japan)

My latest arrival, not sure why I didn't spring for this when it was reissued in Japan a few years ago. Any rate glad I've got it now and on my preferred medium.

45 minutes ago, Clunky said:

It's a great set which I only added to my collection last year. I had a Japanese one volume and edition which omits a side of trio material and a side with strings ( roughly). The latter were much better than I expected.

My latest arrival, not sure why I didn't spring for this when it was reissued in Japan a few years ago. Any rate glad I've got it now and on my preferred medium.

Yes, I'm thoroughly enjoying it and hoping the neighbours are too...or they're out at work

I have Mine's "2nd Album" which I bought on spec for some reason I don't now recall.I need to dig that out again as I remember being impressed (and I've still not got round to "Tao Of Mad Phat"..ho, hum, too much music etc etc)

Edited by mjazzg

48 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

It's a five-star record in my book. :)   

Excellent without question, but then the late Chet Baker (whom I prefer to the "Younger" one) had a number of outstanding releases from the late 70`s onwards and "five stars" would become inflationary - so I would reserve these for the Trio format with Jean-Louis Rassinfosse on bass and either Michel Graillier on piano or Philippe Catherine on guitar ....

46 minutes ago, soulpope said:

Excellent without question, but then the late Chet Baker (whom I prefer to the "Younger" one) had a number of outstanding releases from the late 70`s onwards and "five stars" would become inflationary - so I would reserve these for the Trio format with Jean-Louis Rassinfosse on bass and either Michel Graillier on piano or Philippe Catherine on guitar ....

Interesting. I'll have to look into those. I wasn't aware that Baker had made recordings with Michel Graillier.  (I've tended to focus more on the recs from the 70s.)

Incidentally, I also prefer late-period Baker to the earlier recordings.  I'd count Peace and Broken Wing (with Phil Markowitz and J-F Jenny-Clark) as my favorites.

Edited by HutchFan

R-1577822-1273591682.jpeg.jpg

1 hour ago, mjazzg said:

Yes, I'm thoroughly enjoying it and hoping the neighbours are too...or they're out at work

I have Mine's "2nd Album" which I bought on spec for some reason I don't now recall.I need to dig that out again as I remember being impressed (and I've still not got round to "Tao Of Mad Phat"..ho, hum, too much music etc etc)

I can recommend also Mine's Mine (a reissue originally  on TBM) .... helpful album titles - not

Edited by Clunky

1 hour ago, HutchFan said:

Interesting. I'll have to look into those. I wasn't aware that Baker had made recordings with Michel Graillier.  (I've tended to focus more on the recs from the 70s.)

Incidentally, I also prefer late-period Baker to the earlier recordings.  I'd count Peace and Broken Wing (with Phil Markowitz and J-F Jenny-Clark) as my favorites.

LP

38f0f48874.jpg

CD (with two Bonus Tracks)

R-4571813-1485197352-6109.jpeg.jpg

I forgot to mention the wonderful Ricardo Del Fra on bass in this setting ....

16 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

Ulrich Gumpert, Raud Malfatti, Tony Oxley -- Ach Was?! -- (FMP, Ger)

pretty great example of this kind of thing if you are into this kind of thing.

Give me this kind of thing any day. Above almost any other kind of thing.:)

5 hours ago, mjazzg said:

R-3148901-1427290199-5400.jpeg.jpg

Marzette Watts - Marzette And Company [ESP]

3 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

That's one of the strongest jazz albums ESP released.

1 hour ago, mjazzg said:

I agree. Those bass clarinets...the vibes and Sharrock amongst all the other great playing and the writing. 

His Savoy album ("The Marzette Watts Ensemble") is equally great, but unfortunately very hard to find and still not reissued.

How about a deluxe Now-Again-Reserve edition with an extra LP of unreleased music, Clifford?

29 minutes ago, corto maltese said:

Give me this kind of thing any day. Above almost any other kind of thing.:)

His Savoy album ("The Marzette Watts Ensemble") is equally great, but unfortunately very hard to find and still not reissued.

How about a deluxe Now-Again-Reserve edition with an extra LP of unreleased music, Clifford?

Yeah, I love that Savoy as well. I assume it's a matter of licensing through Warner/Atlantic, if they even have the tapes any longer. From what I recall of Dixonia it's not clear whether there are any additional recordings from those sessions. But alas, as much as I'd like to be a contractor for more of these types of releases on Now-Again, he's got enough other projects in the works that it's really hard to say what'll happen.

8 minutes ago, paul secor said:

Warne Marsh: The Art of Improvising (Revelation)

Just curious, why do you still listen to this one instead of "Live at the Half Note" (assuming you have the latter in your collection as well)? Is there anything this release does better than "Live at the Half Note"?

Sensational music, of course.

9 hours ago, Misterioso said:

Just curious, why do you still listen to this one instead of "Live at the Half Note" (assuming you have the latter in your collection as well)? Is there anything this release does better than "Live at the Half Note"?

Sensational music, of course.

No particular reason, other than I was spinning and listening to a couple of LPs and took Improvising off of the shelf.
And the music is sensational.

The two The Art Of Improvising LPs make for a totally different listening experience than do the Half Note sessions. I'd not be without any of it, but for going deep into Warne Marsh, the Revelation LPs force you to confront it head on, no buffers of heads, other soloists, nothing but Warne improvising - and with so little piano behind him on those excerpts, if you don't know how to listen to bass lines, you may well be at a loss as to what changes are being played. When Lennie made that program, he knew exactly what he was doing.

They're niche documents for most people, to be sure, but if you're gonna get hardcore with Warne, they are essential documents.

9 minutes ago, JSngry said:

The two The Art Of Improvising LPs make for a totally different listening experience than do the Half Note sessions. I'd not be without any of it, but for going deep into Warne Marsh, the Revelation LPs force you to confront it head on, no buffers of heads, other soloists, nothing but Warne improvising - and with so little piano behind him on those excerpts, if you don't know how to listen to bass lines, you may well be at a loss as to what changes are being played. When Lennie made that program, he knew exactly what he was doing.

They're niche documents for most people, to be sure, but if you're gonna get hardcore with Warne, they are essential documents.

Thanks for your thoughts.