• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

R-4392967-1363689625-6043.jpeg.jpg

Benny Waters featuring Art Taylor - Ziging and Zaging

my copy is signed by Waters and dated 23 May 1971 which was the Saturday evening of the first edition of the Breda Old Jazz Festival where Waters was one of the headliners (besides Jabbo Smith). Given that this is 15 minutes from where I found the record, I guess Waters signed it after the concert...

d9fc83ec-b2ab-ea3a-92d1-d492920dee4d.jpg

(That's Waters on 23 May 1971.) I guess, starting a new "Old jazz Festival" was kind of anachronistic already in 1971... incidentally, I was at the festival's 47th edition yesterday afternoon, it's not only Dixieland but also some Swing, Western Swing, Blues, Rock'n'Roll... still amazed that even after more than 45 years they can still invite fresh "Old Jazz" bands from the UK etc to meet at a festival like this...  

36 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

R-1566365-1477569079-9959.png.jpg

Clifford Thornton - Panther And The Lash [America]

a longtime favourite - a gem of a recording. Only just tracked down a nice vinyl copy

I have the CD. Will give it a spin.

Remember when Mole and Honest Jon’s stocked it for about £3.99 !

5 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

I have the CD. Will give it a spin.

Remember when Mole and Honest Jon’s stocked it for about £3.99 !

And I remember the entire CD reissue series lined up on the wall of Ray's Jazz...picked them all off to have a good luck, I didn't buy any and to this day I can't remember why not

Hope you enjoy the reacquaintance, it's a fine session. Tusques' contributions really stood out this afternoon aside from Thornton's of course 

I bought a whole mass of that ‘Free America’ series on CD in NYC, including the Thornton. It was at that big J&R store near the Twin Towers site (now long gone I believe) and they were all on special !

The same store had a couple of copies of that humongous great Jazz In Paris box. I was tempted but I would have had to buy another plane ticket.

Edited by sidewinder