Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

56 minutes ago, clifford_thornton said:

Ooh! Have a couple records in that series but not the Diabaté...

Now,

Ramsey McLean + The Lifers -- History's Made Every Moment. New Orleans Now! -- (Prescription, US)

In 1987, I went to the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival, and one of the groups I saw was Ramsey McLean and the Survivors. Don Cherry was supposed to be their guest, but for some reason he was not there. It didn't matter, the group was fantastic. Unfortunately, he died very young (not too long after that recording, I think).

Edited by kh1958

11 hours ago, kh1958 said:

In 1987, I went to the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival, and one of the groups I saw was Ramsey McLean and the Survivors. Don Cherry was supposed to be their guest, but for some reason he was not there. It didn't matter, the group was fantastic. Unfortunately, he died very young (not too long after that recording, I think).

Ramsey McLean is still with us!

30 minutes ago, clifford_thornton said:

Ramsey McLean is still with us!

I have a strong recollection of  reading of his death, but I must admit I could find nothing on the internet.  He appeared  at the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival  almost every year from 1979-1991, but not a single time since then. Well, I'm glad  he's alive  then; it must be a false memory on my part.  

R-8551881-1463905705-4601.jpeg.jpg

Chico Hamilton Quintet - With Strings Attached [Warner Bros, France]

this is fast becoming one of my favourite Hamiltons, especially now I've replaced a noisy copy with a much nicer one.

(still don't like the cover though, sorry TtK :))

Krzysztofa Komeda——Komedy 1———(Poljazz)

pieces from 1965 and 1962, with the former more interesting. It features Stanko , Urbaniak and Zbigniew Namyslowski a.o. Not of the highest level but still pretty interesting.

20 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Everyone's favourite

Wiki states this was repeated from 1950s to 1973. I'll have caught it in its last few years

speaking of everyone's favourite 

NP

Tony Oxley---------Tomorrow is here-------(Dossier) 🇩🇪 

Sounds immense but quite approachable really. Gerd Dudek, Barry Guy and Johannes Bauer and others feature in the sixteen strong orchestra 

17 minutes ago, Clunky said:

Wiki states this was repeated from 1950s to 1973. I'll have caught it in its last few years

speaking of everyone's favourite 

NP

Tony Oxley---------Tomorrow is here-------(Dossier) 🇩🇪 

Sounds immense but quite approachable really. Gerd Dudek, Barry Guy and Johannes Bauer and others feature in the sixteen strong orchestra 

I'd've been nearer the middle. I remember it seeming quite old fashioned by then.

The Oxley certainly sounds worthy of investigation.

Now if they had played the music to The Woodentops it could all have been very different...

Just looked up the Oxley. Four drummers apart from him! No wonder it sounds immense