Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, paul secor said:

Thanks for the positive comment. I'm always surprised (though pleasantly) when someone else knows and likes some of the music I listen to.

The problem for me is, when it comes to jazz, this only happens online.

23 minutes ago, paul secor said:

Thanks for the positive comment. I'm always surprised (though pleasantly) when someone else knows and likes some of the music I listen to.

Really appreciate your varied taste in music -  somehow quite often mirroring mine ....

5 minutes ago, soulpope said:

Really appreciate your varied taste in music -  somehow quite often mirroring mine ....

Good to hear. I wish I had your breadth of knowledge and taste in classical music.

24 minutes ago, erwbol said:

The problem for me is, when it comes to jazz, this only happens online.

Same here.

42 minutes ago, soulpope said:

I second the first sentiment here (the second only for the occasional Jazz title)

I'm often intrigued by the titles posted and seconded by you both, especially, but not only, the music from Africa of which I have a small smattering most usually of the more famous and obviously commercial names. So to see these LPs is a delight. I've so far resisted chasing any down but today's Kora (?) duet may have to be the first exception to that rule.

now listening to this because it was posted elsewhere on the board  today

R-1089582-1332568306.jpeg.jpg

Edited by mjazzg

13 hours ago, paul secor said:

R-2823923-1302682624.jpeg.jpg

Dembo Konte & Kausu Kuyateh: Simbomba (Rogue)

Just found a reasonably priced copy and ordered it. Very much looking forward to listening to it

R-2314937-1325154857.jpeg.jpg

Dennis Gonzalez & Faruq Z Bey w/ Northwoods Improvisers Septet - Hymn For Tomasz Stanko [Qbico]

one of my favourite trumpeters honouring another 

Junior Mance———Truckin’ and Trakin’———-(Beehive)

Grooves in the manner of a snail on diazepam. Engineer Mal Addey partly responsible for the dead sound. There’s a good recording trying to get out but you can’t escape the thought that they were Truckin’ this one straight to the morgue. No ones finest 36mins. 

50 minutes ago, Clunky said:

Junior Mance———Truckin’ and Trakin’———-(Beehive)

Grooves in the manner of a snail on diazepam. Engineer Mal Addey partly responsible for the dead sound. There’s a good recording trying to get out but you can’t escape the thought that they were Truckin’ this one straight to the morgue. No ones finest 36mins. 

You mean that "Trakin' " should actually read Treaclin' ?  ;)

39 minutes ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Debussy:  La Mer, Iberia - Paul Paray & Detroit Symphony - Mercury Living Presence (stereo)

.... Paray takes some passages of La Mer faster than I've heard them elsewhere. 

(IMO) detracting a bit of the composition's magic ....

1 minute ago, soulpope said:

(IMO) detracting a bit of the composition's magic ....

Agreed, but other passages are really beautiful, and I hear some colors more clearly in places than in other versions.

Now playing:

Berg, Shoenberg, Webern - Ormandy & Philadelphia Orch - Columbia (mono)

A 12-tone extravaganza, featuring a 33-minute suite from Lulu! 

5 minutes ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Is that the same Phil Moore who was making records in the 1950s, including the amazing Portrait of Leda?

I don't know. I just have this album, not the album you reference. This one has arrangements by Gil Fuller, features a vocalist named Leni Groves and a band including Moore on piano and organ, Hadley Caliman on tenor sax and flute, Joe Pass on guitar, Joe Comfort on bass, Francisco Aquabella on congas, and Clarence Johnson on drums.