• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Spontaneous Music Ensemble---------So what do you think?-------(Tangent)

I was prompted to dig this out by reading Martin Davidson's comment in the new reissue of Karyobin that he'd passed up reissuing SWDYT because  "the percussion to dominate both music and the mix".  I really respect MD but can't find myself agreeing with him on this one. Yes percussion is a little forward but on the whole I find this a lively session. So if you know this session, what do you think....?

12 hours ago, Clunky said:

Spontaneous Music Ensemble---------So what do you think?-------(Tangent)

I was prompted to dig this out by reading Martin Davidson's comment in the new reissue of Karyobin that he'd passed up reissuing SWDYT because  "the percussion to dominate both music and the mix".  I really respect MD but can't find myself agreeing with him on this one. Yes percussion is a little forward but on the whole I find this a lively session. So if you know this session, what do you think....?

It's good to listen to this again although maybe a bit too knotty for the day's first.

I can hear what MD means, the drums are very foregrounded,  especially on side 2. Of course I may have only spotted this because it was pointed out. I'm not sure they dominate the music but certainly I hear them dominating the mix in passages - a drummer's collective :) 

1 hour ago, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

so, side A is from the Pacific Jazz RITUAL Art Blakey lp, and Side B is......not on another lp?

Date: October 31, 1957
Label: Pacific Jazz
Elmo Hope Quintet

Elmo Hope (ldr), Stu Williamson (t), Harold Land (ts), Elmo Hope (p), Leroy Vinnegar (b), Frank Butler (d)

a.Vaun Ex (Ecstasy) - 4:42(Elmo Hope)

World Pacific LP 12"JWC 508 — The Hard Swing   (1958)
Vogue (Eng.) LP 12"LAE 12152 — The Hard Swing   (1958)

b.St. Elmo's Fire - 5:52(Elmo Hope)

World Pacific LP 12"JWC 509 — Have Blues Will Travel   (1958)
Vogue (Eng.) LP 12"LAE 12156 — Have Blues Will Travel   (1958)
World Pacific LP 12"ST 737 — Have Blues Will Travel   (1958)
World Pacific (Jpn.) LP 12"PJ 0509 — Have Blues Will Travel   (1992)

c.So Nice (Trippin') - 6:05(Elmo Hope)

All titles on: Pacific Jazz LP 12"PJ 33 — The Jazz Messengers and Elmo Hope   (1962)

6 hours ago, mjazzg said:

It's good to listen to this again although maybe a bit too knotty for the day's first.

I can hear what MD means, the drums are very foregrounded,  especially on side 2. Of course I may have only spotted this because it was pointed out. I'm not sure they dominate the music but certainly I hear them dominating the mix in passages - a drummer's collective :) 

I quite like it but it's been a while since it was on deck.

57 minutes ago, Clunky said:

I’ve not played LP2 but hopefully tonight. Stand by 🙏

I'll keep my ears peeled from here

Just checking its availability and saw this track title

"For Deep Deep Finnish Forest Cymbal Governor"

has to be one of the best

18 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

I'll keep my ears peeled from here

Just checking its availability and saw this track title

"For Deep Deep Finnish Forest Cymbal Governor"

has to be one of the best

LP2 of the new reissue of Hot Lotta has 5 tracks (30mins) of material recorded for radio prior to the ten day tour that culminated in “Hot Lotta” .

Sound is of the same high standard. This issue comes with Brotzmann’s cooperation and includes his memories of the tour and album. It seems to be very much of a piece with LP hot and fierce. I like the contrasting use of flute/ piccolo flute or tenor sax by Aaltonen. Both sessions in excellent stereo sound with Aaltonen left and Brotzmann right channels respectively. 

1 hour ago, Clunky said:

LP2 of the new reissue of Hot Lotta has 5 tracks (30mins) of material recorded for radio prior to the ten day tour that culminated in “Hot Lotta” .

Sound is of the same high standard. This issue comes with Brotzmann’s cooperation and includes his memories of the tour and album. It seems to be very much of a piece with LP hot and fierce. I like the contrasting use of flute/ piccolo flute or tenor sax by Aaltonen. Both sessions in excellent stereo sound with Aaltonen left and Brotzmann right channels respectively. 

Tempting

R-12074453-1527853804-6450.jpeg.jpg

Johnny Mbizo Dyani - African Bass [Sing A Song Fighter]