What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

61ite5FnmoL._SX500_.jpg

Count Basie - Basie Jam at the Montreux Jazz Festival 1975 (Pablo)
Interesting to hear Johnny Griffin, who plays like his normal bad-ass self, in this context -- since he wasn't a Granz jam session regular.

and

ArtTatum_Masterpieces.jpg

Art Tatum - Masterpieces (MCA, 2-LPs)
Everything here sounds great -- but today I'm really enjoying the bluesy band tracks with Joe Turner's vocals.

Edited by HutchFan

• Replies 55.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

is this the closest bluenote ever came to a record in the grp-style? also i was suprised to look up an see theres TONS of 1990-91-92 bn releases....so i actually dont know when the vinyl cutoff was before the comeback, somewhere between 89 and 91?

Edited by chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez

took my Portrait of Cannonball out of the shrink today, there was no special sticker, it was crispy + yellowed, and crap i kept it on there sixty freaking years it wasnt protecting the jacket at all so i thought screw it and i took it off, looks a lot better IMO.  It was a pretty involved process though

Image result for portrait of cannonball

R-701819-1349557628-2666.jpeg.jpg

The Afro-Blues Quintet Plus One - Introducing [CBS UK]

Never heard of them before and purchased with the Thomas above. Reckon they must've come from the same collection.

It's a Soul Jazz fiesta here this afternoon. Where's The Magnificent Goldberg when I need him for education about these albums?

Edited by mjazzg

21 hours ago, kh1958 said:

Now being issued on CD.

https://benallison.com/store/preorder 

I saw that too. Ben just e-mailed me about the availability. Ordered my copy.

I've wondered about the viability of Newvelle Record's business model. If all it takes is waiting a couple of years and to get a CD version with extra tracks for about 25% of the cost of the Newvelle LP version, I would think many will wait. I can't see them gaining too many more subscriptions now that this is happening.

Now, if they had launched their service with a much more reasonable price, I'd be a subscriber already.

2 hours ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

I saw that too. Ben just e-mailed me about the availability. Ordered my copy.

I've wondered about the viability of Newvelle Record's business model. If all it takes is waiting a couple of years and to get a CD version with extra tracks for about 25% of the cost of the Newvelle LP version, I would think many will wait. I can't see them gaining too many more subscriptions now that this is happening.

Now, if they had launched their service with a much more reasonable price, I'd be a subscriber already.

Right; 6 records for $400, I don't think so. 

It’s good - adventurous early 70s trio with Harry Miller. Ratip was living in London at the time but is now resident in Turkey I believe.

There is one other LP by him on the Lansdowne Series which is more straight ahead I think.

Now up - lovely easy-listening disk from Amancio D. Sort of ‘Val Doonican with balls’.

R-2331281-1457598358-4156.jpeg.jpg