• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

713ufCBgoNL._SX425_.jpg

71eL9N1zfZL._SX425_.jpg

Dick Wellstood - From Ragtime On (Chiaroscuro)
This is perilously thin vinyl -- it reminds me of the floppy RCA Dynaflex LPs from around the same time -- so the sound is less than ideal.  Regardless of sonics, Wellstood plays beautifully, with great sensitivity. No surprise there. 

I wonder: Why hasn't Chiaroscuro ever reissued this music in digital format?  Most of their back-catalog has been made available -- but not this. 

Oh well. I guess it's just another example of life's myriad little injustices. ;) 

2 hours ago, sidewinder said:

500x500.jpg

Kenny Graham, Don Rendell etc. ‘Tenorama’ (Nixa DG mono)

Of those I saw Rendell and Skidmore, latter with Humphrey Lyttelton. Nice to think I saw the Skidmores, father and son - same for the Traceys, come to think of it.

Also caught Don Rendell a few times (the last time was at Ian Carr’s tribute concert) as well as both Traceys in various Stan Tracey groups on quite a few occasions. I’ve also got the Stan Tracey bio by Clark on order. Have seen Alan Skidmore a few times too but I don’t think I ever saw his Dad.

Kenny Graham way before my time but I can remember seeing performances by Humph’s group where he announced a Kenny Graham arrangement. That group had Kathy Stobart, a superb and very under-rated tenorist (not unlike the present day Karen Sharp in style).

Edited by sidewinder

7 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Also caught Don Rendell a few times (the last time was at Ian Carr’s tribute concert) as well as both Traceys in various Stan Tracey groups on quite a few occasions. I’ve also got the Stan Tracey bio by Clark on order. Have seen Alan Skidmore a few times too but I don’t think I ever saw his Dad.

Kenny Graham way before my time but I can remember seeing performances by Humph’s group where he announced a Kenny Graham arrangement. That group had Kathy Stobart, a superb and very under-rated tenorist (not unlike the present day Karen Sharp in style).

Interesting to hear about the Stan Tracey biog. A few years ago, not long after the death of Stan, I spoke to Clark about his Dad, telling him I was currently reading autobiogs by Peter King and Vic Ash which mentioned him. As if as an afterthought, Clark ran after me to say I'd have a new biog to read, as he would be writing one about Stan. Having heard nothing of this for a few years, I assumed that the idea had been forgotten, but apparently not. Yes, I shall be reading it.