What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

5 minutes ago, soulpope said:

More excellence by Steve Lacy 6tet, 4tet feat Charles Tyler and Ahmed Abdullah 4tet feat Charles Brackeen ....

And The Ethnic Heritage Ensemble. We could go on... a fine label

R-2439980-1353421453-2371.jpeg.jpg

Ahmed Abdullah Quartet - Liquid Magic [Silkheart]

more Brackeen, more Malachi Favors

• Replies 55.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

16 hours ago, mjazzg said:

R-1617438-1232444781.jpeg.jpg

Charles Brackeen - Bannar [Silkheart]

Terrific bunch of Silhearts mentioned here.  The earlier ones were particularly good imo. Unfortunately I don't have the two Abdullahs.   

Edited by JohnS

23 hours ago, mikeweil said:

R-3725003-1360743829-6308.png.jpg

Great, underrated album with great solos from all involved. Vinyl reissue appeared last year, but there also is a CD on Phono Records with a bonus track from these sessions and a complete Hendricks live album added.

Interesting, by coincidence I am also listening to a CD set released by "Phono Records":

Capture.JPG

Never heard of this label before, probably one of these dubious labels. However, this set is great and the sound quality very nice. 

R-3586709-1336340426.jpeg.jpg  R-9830784-1487008879-1805.jpeg.jpg  R-2191874-1345740382-4318.jpeg.jpg

So far tonight, two excellent piano trios (with some organ on the second), and a bunch of vibists:
Dodo Marmarosa - Dodo's Back (Argo mono)
Martial Solal - Son 66 (French Columbia/Pathe)
Karl Berger/Dave Friedman/Tom van der Geld/Wolfgang Lackerschmid - Vibes Summit (MPS)

R-10026321-1490357402-1153.jpeg.jpg

Shankar Jaikishan - Raga Jazz Style [Outernational reissue]

Ideal listening to accompany the cricket.

Nicely produced reissue. I don't how official it is, Outernational's website claims it's from master tapes but that's easy enough to state. They've just reissued a Nimbus West which looks very interesting

13 hours ago, jeffcrom said:

R-3586709-1336340426.jpeg.jpg   

So far tonight, two excellent piano trios (with some organ on the second), and a bunch of vibists:
Dodo Marmarosa - Dodo's Back (Argo mono)

I don't have the original, but I have the music on a 2 LP set along with the Bill Hardman quartet date. Sounded good the last time I listened.

Edited by paul secor

6 hours ago, mjazzg said:

R-10026321-1490357402-1153.jpeg.jpg

Shankar Jaikishan - Raga Jazz Style [Outernational reissue]

Ideal listening to accompany the cricket.

Nicely produced reissue. I don't how official it is, Outernational's website claims it's from master tapes but that's easy enough to state. They've just reissued a Nimbus West which looks very interesting

Interesting - one I didn’t know about, put out by EMI India originally I guess. Will investigate..

I would have thought a better accompaniment to the cricket today was ‘Theme From Jaws’.

Edited by sidewinder

Noah Preminger - Some Other Time (Newvelle Records). A vinyl-only release that I was able to pick up from the artist at one of his shows. Very nice date. Mellow as heck, which i do appreciate on appropriate occasions. Beautiful pressing - dead quiet clear vinyl.

R-9663786-1484407422-3243.jpeg.jpg

EDIT:  I went to put the record away and I notice the sleeve is huge. I go to put it onto the record shelves and WTF - it's about 3/4's of an inch taller than normal! That is weird.

Now playing:

Counts Basie Presents Eddie Davis Trio + Joe Newman (Roulette). R-52007 (mono) white label promo. This band cooks but Shirley Scott's organ has some kind of reverb on her feed into the mix that makes it sound like she's playing in a gym. Not her best sound. I have better by all involved. This is not one I'll be playing all that often.

R-10321378-1495290003-8074.jpeg.jpg

Edited by Kevin Bresnahan