Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

23 hours ago, jeffcrom said:

I know you would want to miss the first couple of records - would you want to arrive before or after Coleman Hawkins?

Probably before, realize it was post-Europe Hawkins, mutter something about unnatural harmonies as I excuse myself to the kitchen for some gumbo (you have gumbo, right?), then return for the good stuff!

Or is the Verve/JATP stuff something I'd enjoy? There's definitely 50's and after Hawkins I like: Cozy Cole's Big Seven, that standards album he did with Red Allen, the Art Ford Jazz Party thing, ...

9 minutes ago, lipi said:

Probably before, realize it was post-Europe Hawkins, mutter something about unnatural harmonies as I excuse myself to the kitchen for some gumbo (you have gumbo, right?), then return for the good stuff!

Or is the Verve/JATP stuff something I'd enjoy? There's definitely 50's and after Hawkins I like: Cozy Cole's Big Seven, that standards album he did with Red Allen, the Art Ford Jazz Party thing, ...

It's "boppish" Hawk, which of course is still several steps in from Charlie Parker. But your first instinct would probably be right.

But I do tailor my record parties to the interests of the participants. If you ever drop by, we'll have a great moldy fig night - plenty of old New Orleans stuff and no Ellington later than 1933.

R-1696663-1335123837.jpeg.jpgĀ  R-3025099-1524591376-5985.jpeg.jpgĀ  R-4085046-1354726848-6973.jpeg.jpgĀ  R-11190159-1511549604-2887.jpeg.jpg

Ā 

Aretha Franklin - Spirit in the Dark (Atlantic). One of her finest, although it only had a couple of hits. Listened while sending forth positive thoughts.

Johnny Hodges - Don't Sleep in the Subway (Verve). Not for deep listening, but perfect music while I was cooking dinner.

George Adams/Archie Shepp/Heinz Sauer - Frankfurt Jazz Workshop '78: Tenor Saxes (Circle). I was not aware of this excellent record until I came across it online about a week ago. It arrived today.

Preservation Hall Jazz Band - Run, Stop & Drop!! (The Needle) (Legacy). Last year's Record Store Day example of the PHJB's evolution from a strictly traditional band into a band which plays contemporay eclectic New Orleans music. I like it. Recorded live at the Hall.