• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

R-6872598-1428436393-4417.jpeg.jpg

Togashi/Lacy/Kent - Spiritual Moments [Paddlewheel]

finally got a copy (prompted by a JeffCrom post recently). Fabulous music and the recording is really alive.

It does have something that I've noticed on a few LPs purchased from Japan, a quiet background crackle throughout (thankfully that's only really noticeable at quiet parts). The vinyl looks pristine and clean.  Is this something to do with humidity I wonder? It's improved with one clean so hoping subsequent ones will do the full job

1 hour ago, paul secor said:

Lee Friedlander photograph

Thanks. My knowledge of photographers/photography is sadly lacking. I'm off to do some online self-education

5 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

finally got a copy (prompted by a JeffCrom post recently). Fabulous music and the recording is really alive.

It does have something that I've noticed on a few LPs purchased from Japan, a quiet background crackle throughout (thankfully that's only really noticeable at quiet parts). The vinyl looks pristine and clean.  Is this something to do with humidity I wonder? It's improved with one clean so hoping subsequent ones will do the full job

Some very nice Kent Carter playing on there ....

54 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

yes. A few cleanings can help, but this has happened to me as well. It's a combination of humidity and outgassing from the Japanese inner bags.

26 minutes ago, clifford_thornton said:

yes. A few cleanings can help, but this has happened to me as well. It's a combination of humidity and outgassing from the Japanese inner bags.

Thanks Clifford, it's happened enough not to be coincidence

Edited by mjazzg

4 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Thanks. My knowledge of photographers/photography is sadly lacking. I'm off to do some online self-education

Good record.

Lee Friedlander's photographs graced a number of Atlantic covers in the 50's-60's. He has a reputation as a fine photographer outside of the music world.

37 minutes ago, paul secor said:

Lee Friedlander's photographs graced a number of Atlantic covers in the 50's-60's. He has a reputation as a fine photographer outside of the music world.

An outstanding photographer indeed .... beneath bis well known Atlantic cover shots mentioned by Paul he also made superb pictures in black/white feat. landscapes etc .... should have the one or other book feat bis works in my house .... somewhere ....

4 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

R-1345311-1515983354-9498.jpeg.jpg

Chico Hamilton & the Players (Blue Note, 1976)
with Arthur Blythe

And Steve Turre too? On electric bass? Or am I thinking of the one after this one?

No matter, I like Chico Hamilton records, even the bad ones. I love the sound he gets out of his kit and cymbals. Always.

Just now, JSngry said:

And Steve Turre too? On electric bass? Or am I thinking of the one after this one?

No matter, I like Chico Hamilton records, even the bad ones. I love the sound he gets out of his kit and cymbals. Always.

Yup. Steve Turre's on electric bass, and he sounds damn good. I'd say he should have stuck with that instrument if he wasn't such an excellent trombonist.

It's an interesting record. The band's solid from top to bottom -- with "Black Arthur" and Turre and Rodney Jones (who also played with Dizzy). 

I'm thinking I might need to track down Peregrinations, the LP that preceded this one, at some point.

Al Grey & Jimmy Forrest - OD - with Don Patterson, Peter Leitch & Charlie Rice

R-1834435-1369808891-3011.jpeg.jpg

Just ripping this to my computer. One of the greatest Forrest recordings IMO.

Earlier, I ripped this Groove Holmes' 'Dancing in the sun'. Not one of his best, by any means, but Groove grooves under all and any circumstances.

MG

richard groove holmes dancing in the sun.jpg

Now ripping

Waymon Reed - 46th & 8th - Artists House (1977)

R-1558456-1228288382.jpeg.jpg

I saw this in Mole Jazz in 1990 and grabbed it immediately - well, I knew who Waymon Reed was - a trumpet player with James Brown. And, looking at the back, it got better than THAT!

With Jimmy Forrest, Tommy Flanagan, Keter Betts & Bobby Durham.

Nice session, which I've not played since 2012 and MISSED it!

MG

Because of my age (15 or so), I first heard of Waymon Reed when he was with Basie, in a review that referred to him as "former James Brown trumpeter Waymon Reed". And I know he was with Basie when I saw him in December of 1970.

Well, those seemed, at the time, like two worlds that wouldn't ordinarily collide, but not too much longer I found a copy of Soul On Top and cleared all that up!

Wondering what if any Basie records document of Fred Wesley's time with the band?

1 hour ago, The Magnificent Goldberg said:

Now ripping

Waymon Reed - 46th & 8th - Artists House (1977)

R-1558456-1228288382.jpeg.jpg

I saw this in Mole Jazz in 1990 and grabbed it immediately - well, I knew who Waymon Reed was - a trumpet player with James Brown. And, looking at the back, it got better than THAT!

With Jimmy Forrest, Tommy Flanagan, Keter Betts & Bobby Durham.

Nice session, which I've not played since 2012 and MISSED it!

MG

Very intrigued and the price seems right on discogs.  And since I don't feel like Sangrey feels about Durham, that's not a drawback. :g

I couldn't agree more.

Just been ripping Al Grey's "Struttin' & shoutin'' (Columbia, 1976)

R-4762345-1393072147-1862.jpeg.jpg

I don't think too much of Columbia, but this is a very nice one, with Waymon Reed!!! and Danny Moore, who probably is the trumpet player you can hear, Jimmy Forrest (YAY!) Cecil Payne, Ray Bryant, Milt Hinto and, again, Bobby Durham.

And, continuing my ripping day,

Al Grey - Shades of Grey (Tangerine, 1965)

R-5462624-1443295070-1362.jpeg.jpg

With Sweets, Jaws, Vi Redd, Grover Mitchell, William Hughes, Kirk Stuart, on piano and - sounding a lot like Ray Charles - I wonder if it's a non-de-date - Wyatt Ruther and Sonny Payne.

Jim sent me a rip of this six years ago, but each side was all one track and I'm less keen on listening to albums like that. I got this and 'Strutting & shoutin'" from someone here whose name I know, but I've forgotten his ID, a few months later.

MG

Still rippin'.

Now doing Groove Holmes - X77 (PJ, c1970)

R-1834243-1387880711-3475.jpeg.jpg

With Thornel Schwartz, Paul Humphrey and someone called Bob West on electric bass, presumably because the X77 didn't have bass pedals - but would have been more easily transported. It's definitely less groovy and the organ doesn't sound any too good, but...

Haven't played THIS one since 2012. Actually, it's getting better than I remembered it :) Must be lowering my standards.

MG

12 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Actually, I've substantially enjoyed all the later PJ sides that groove made, even the one with Ernie Watts!

134304.jpg

I like that one, too. Never heard a Holmes I haven't liked. And I think I've got 'em all.

MG

No, I haven't got 'The 6,000,000 man'. Never heard it, either. Title doesn't seem terribly attractive.