• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

not the special thing i was telling you about earlier......but i got this today, full price (15), no crazy deal- but it has rare early hank......hanks 2nd to last Dizzy session is on this.  one song, "rails" has an extreme hank solo.  is this the 1st issue?  cause the discog says verve mgv 8357 is an unreleased lp.  Dizzy Gillespie Big Band.  But the material here is compiled from a few dizzy albums, it as "Caravan" from the album AFRO.....

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez

R-5039886-1382872156-6687.jpeg.jpg

Othar Turner's Rising Star Fife & Drum Band - Field Recordings from Gravel Springs, Mississippi (Sugar Ditch). A four-song EP recorded in 1995. I heard this band in Clarksdale that summer, and spoke afterwards with R.L. Boyce, the bass drummer. R.L. gave me lengthy, and somewhat confusing, directions to Othar Turner's farm, so I could attend the annual Labor Day fife and drum picnic and barbecue a few months later. I wrote down the directions as R.L. gave them (I still have them), and on Labor Day fruitlessly drove all over the Mississippi hill country looking for the Turner farm - which of course I never found.

R-1689530-1310612683.jpeg.jpg

Duke Ellington - Concert in the Virgin Islands (Reprise). Great album, recorded in the studio in New York in March, 1965, rather than live in the Virgin Islands. I knew Steve Lacy's version of "Virgin Jungle" before I knew the original.

Edited by jeffcrom

3 hours ago, jeffcrom said:

R-1689530-1310612683.jpeg.jpg

Duke Ellington - Concert in the Virgin Islands (Reprise). Great album, recorded in the studio in New York in March, 1965, rather than live in the Virgin Islands. I knew Steve Lacy's version of "Virgin Jungle" before I knew the original.

Always enjoyed that one. Time to pull out the Ellington Reprise Mosaic.

13 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Each his own, I guess. My stereo orig. of this one sounds OK. Admittedly, it did benefit from a spin on the RCM.

Gave it another spin - it is true that Wilkerson sounds a bit ‘comb and paper’. Nowhere near as well recorded as his Blue Notes.

Fair enough. Mine's a mono, and it sounds very muffled. I think it's Wilkerson himself which puts me off, I don't play my CD of "Preach Brother" much either.

I feel the same when listening to Harold Vick or Houston Person, perhaps. They don't really grab me.   

12 hours ago, paul secor said:

R-2761779-1330630214.jpeg.jpg

United Front: Live in Berlin (FMP)

:tup Finally, after a couple of years, got my hands on a copy of that recently only to discover it was scratched so back to the seller it went. At least I got to listen to it and know that it's well worth hunting for again

11 hours ago, jeffcrom said:

R-5039886-1382872156-6687.jpeg.jpg

Othar Turner's Rising Star Fife & Drum Band - Field Recordings from Gravel Springs, Mississippi (Sugar Ditch). A four-song EP recorded in 1995. I heard this band in Clarksdale that summer, and spoke afterwards with R.L. Boyce, the bass drummer. R.L. gave me lengthy, and somewhat confusing, directions to Othar Turner's farm, so I could attend the annual Labor Day fife and drum picnic and barbecue a few months later. I wrote down the directions as R.L. gave them (I still have them), and on Labor Day fruitlessly drove all over the Mississippi hill country looking for the Turner farm - which of course I never found.

wow.