Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Why do so many favor Mode For Joe over the other BNs? It's always seemed a bit..."tame" to me. Obviously not everybody hears it like that!

I'd guess that "Mode for Joe" ranks high for people because the compositions and larger ensemble give the record an approachable quality that's different from the others. For me, however, "Inner Urge" is the clear No. 1 -- it's not even close -- with In 'N Out"Β  in the No. 2 position, "Mode for Joe" at No. 3 and then "Our Thing" and "Page One" are basically tied.Β That may underrateΒ "Our Thing" but that one was out of print when I was young and I didn't get it until it was reissued in the mid '80s and by then I had learned every groove of the others so it wasn't really a fair fight. Β 

Edited by Mark Stryker

I'll take In 'n Out, Inner Urge, and Our Thing any day, on a loop, randomly sequenced or otherwise. The others, really, only on special days.

Our Thing was a sleeper for me. For years, I only had a pretty worn LP and I didn't get all the nuances. Then it got reissued and I was like, WHOA! Kenny Dorham! and then it all started falling into place, piece by piece (in multiple ways!).

As you say, that one was OOP for a long time. When all the others were still available, Our Thing wasn't. I got my copy from a radio station. Don't know how it got so plowed, they sure as hell never played it, but I didn't ask questions.

3 minutes ago, JSngry said:

I'll take In 'n Out, Inner Urge, and Our Thing any day, on a loop, randomly sequenced or otherwise. The others, really, only on special days.

Our Thing was a sleeper for me. For years, I only had a pretty worn LP and I didn't get all the nuances. Then it got reissued and I was like, WHOA! Kenny Dorham! and then it all started falling into place, piece by piece (in multiple ways!).

As you say, that one was OOP for a long time. When all the others were still available, Our Thing wasn't. I got my copy from a radio station. Don't know how it got so plowed, they sure as hell never played it, but I didn't ask questions.

Some might argue that "The Real McCoy" is Joe Henderson's greatest Blue Note even if all the tunes are by McCoy.

I'm recommending three records with each chapter in my book. For Joe Henderson it's "Inner Urge," "Power to the People" and ""The Real McCoy."

Edited by Mark Stryker

I quite like all the Henderson records upthread. But since I had MFJ on for the first time in ages, it seemed like it was worth mentioning. I've always dug the first cut on Inner Urge but felt like it lost a lot of steam after that point. Maybe my ears would hear differently now.

anyway...

Bill Barron -- West Side Story Bossa Nova -- (Dauntless stereo orig)

Edited by clifford_thornton

8 hours ago, JSngry said:

And I'll take 'Brown sugar', by Freddie Roach :)Β  (You knew I'd say that, didn'cha?

MG

3 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

Ha, that record is okay. Not great, but not awful. It's no Unity but it doesn't have to be.

Yeah, it's not great, but it does have a certain importance. Like Johnny 'Hammond' Smith's 'Higher ground' it shows that Joe was fully in the spirit of soul jazz, as well as pretty well any other kind of jazz too. There were and are few players who focus on hard bop, verging into the avant garde of the day, who could or would even be interested in trying to get it. It may not be much of a plus for Joe Henderson, the musician, but it's a big plus for Joe Henderson the man.

MG

27 minutes ago, The Magnificent Goldberg said:

Yeah, it's not great, but it does have a certain importance. Like Johnny 'Hammond' Smith's 'Higher ground' it shows that Joe was fully in the spirit of soul jazz, as well as pretty well any other kind of jazz too. There were and are few players who focus on hard bop, verging into the avant garde of the day, who could or would even be interested in trying to get it. It may not be much of a plus for Joe Henderson, the musician, but it's a big plus for Joe Henderson the man.

MG

I think it also shows that Joe had serious career ambitions, or at least attempted to. Remember how he joined Blood, Sweat & Tears for a quick minute when they re-formed?