What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

2 minutes ago, JSngry said:

It meant enough to Joe that he took the gig for a quick minute. Never got past rehearsals, but apparently there were endorsement deals out the ass as soon as he joined.

Oh, he never played with the band in public, but Adidas or someone offered him money?

Bright spark, Joe :)

The world never fails to amuse me.

MG

• Replies 55.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

22 hours ago, Mark Stryker said:

I'd guess that "Mode for Joe" ranks high for people because the compositions and larger ensemble give the record an approachable quality that's different from the others. For me, however, "Inner Urge" is the clear No. 1 -- it's not even close -- with In 'N Out"  in the No. 2 position, "Mode for Joe" at No. 3 and then "Our Thing" and "Page One" are basically tied. That may underrate "Our Thing" but that one was out of print when I was young and I didn't get it until it was reissued in the mid '80s and by then I had learned every groove of the others so it wasn't really a fair fight.  

I've always thought of Mode for Joe as being sorta like Coltrane's Africa/Brass.  Interesting, but slightly off to the side.

7 hours ago, mikeweil said:

R-2204140-1348339069-5696.jpeg.jpg

Never heard of this before.

Don Schlitten was too much of a modern jazz man for me to really like his material, but that looks good, except for Barry Harris, who ain't my type of player.

The best thing about Xanadu was the superb sleeves. And that is just wonderful!

I'll try to keep it in mind.

MG

1 hour ago, The Magnificent Goldberg said:

Don Schlitten was too much of a modern jazz man for me to really like his material, but that looks good, except for Barry Harris, who ain't my type of player.

MG

it looks like something you might find in Schlitten's later Prestige run and I would probably listen to it on Prestige, so why not grab the Xanadu? 

If I see a cheap copy, I may well do. I've only got three Xanadus I like - by Teddy Edwards, Sonny Criss and Ronnie Cuber (the earlier). I do have a few of his Prestige productions, but I'm not as enthusiastic about them as I am about the same artists working with Bob Porter - or even Cal Lampley, who wasn't to my mind a very good producer. So I'm very cagey. about him. Added to the fact that Barry Harris is someone I barely tolerate, it doesn't look promising, so a cheap one i what I might get.

MG

It’s easy to be underwhelmed by Barry Harris if, for whatever reason, you have neither taste and/nor ear for the subtleties of bebop harmony. That was me until I really got into the specifics of playing bebop (a pursuit which never really took hold because as much as I loved being in the room with it, when I got into bed with it, I felt like I was with somebody who deserved different from me, they deserved deep knowing intimacy, not just naive worship). My casual impression was that he was “just” a really good Bud Powell disciple. But...even if that is ultimately true, his knowledge runs deep. Very deep. Very, very, VERY deep.

All of which just to say, Barry Harris can play, really play, but if it ain’t for you, don’t blame him, because his shit is right.

4 hours ago, The Magnificent Goldberg said:

MG

I have this one, it's quite nice, pretty standard in the tradition bop, but very good playing.  The tune "LaVerne's Walk" is very catchy.

Edited by CJ Shearn

6 hours ago, The Magnificent Goldberg said:

MG

This one is available on CD, in Elemental Music's Xanadu Master Series:

R-9435164-1523318661-6564.jpeg.jpg

R-9435164-1523318660-6013.jpeg.jpg

But have a listen to it, first, if you can - it's the most "modern" of Jones' albums.

Edited by mikeweil