• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, jeffcrom said:

R-3691804-1340557363-2877.jpeg.jpg

Marian McPartland - Ambiance (Halcyon, 1970). While I haven't heard all of McPartland's albums (who has?), this has got to be one of her best. It's definitely the most adventurous of the ones I've heard. The rhythm section is Michael Moore on bass and Jimmy Madison or Billy Hart on drums.

Oh yeah. That's a really good record. :tup

Jeff, have you heard Interplay? It's a piano/bass duo record (with Linc Milliman), also released in 1970. It's similar to Ambiance, just as adventurous.

R-3148890-1318019465.jpeg.jpg

NP:

R-2630308-1304694455.jpeg.jpg

Freddie Hubbard - Sweet Return (Atlantic)

Just now, HutchFan said:

Oh yeah. That's a really good record. :tup

Jeff, have you heard Interplay? It's a piano/bass duo record (with Linc Milliman), also released in 1970. It's similar to Ambiance, just as adventurous.

R-3148890-1318019465.jpeg.jpg

NP:

R-2630308-1304694455.jpeg.jpg

Freddie Hubbard - Sweet Return (Atlantic)

Yes, I've got Interplay - I'll spin it soon. And it's been awhile since I've played that Freddie Hubbard album - it's mighty good. (His last great one? I'm not really in a position to know.)

Now playiing:

R-1527797-1292329960.jpeg.jpg

Paul Bley/Bill Connors/Jimmy Giiuffre - Quiet Song (Improvising Artists). One of the most utterly beautiful records I own.

R-1299608-1436410850-8989.jpeg.jpg

Keith Jarrett - Staircase (ECM). Bought this back in the day when I was trying to figure out The Jazz. At some point I decided that I wasn't a huge fan of solo Jarrett, and haven't spun Staircase in years. Something made me put it on tonight, and it's really hitting the spot. I'm going to listen to as many of the four sides as I can before sleep overtakes me.

I'm not saying it's great, because I'm not sure that it is - just that's it's perfect for me right now.

And what a beautiful cover photo.

4 minutes ago, rdavenport said:

Anyway, is that worth the price tag?

There's some lovely playing by Gideon's old man on it. It's very much a ballad showcase or "late night" as the sleeve notes would have it.

Much is made in the liner notes of how the string arrangements and playing are not pop and are "astringent".  Well fifty years later I'd say quite a few of them err towards the easy listening end of the spectrum.

So, I'd say it was 'of its time' and if you enjoy some jazz with your moderne furniture and a G&T before dinner or a lazy scotch later in the evening then this is for you. At what price...well, I bought mine, not cheaply, from Oxfam so I feel good about it either way

Late night DJ on BBC 6 Music

19 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

There's some lovely playing by Gideon's old man on it. It's very much a ballad showcase or "late night" as the sleeve notes would have it.

Much is made in the liner notes of how the string arrangements and playing are not pop and are "astringent".  Well fifty years later I'd say quite a few of them err towards the easy listening end of the spectrum.

So, I'd say it was 'of its time' and if you enjoy some jazz with your moderne furniture and a G&T before dinner or a lazy scotch later in the evening then this is for you. At what price...well, I bought mine, not cheaply, from Oxfam so I feel good about it either way

:g