Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

37 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

From a certain on-line outlet points East of London, perchance?:)

No, a Discogs seller oop North.  Now I'm intrigued by the online outlet...can't think of one out East apart from a Hackney shop that doesn't do online but does inflated prices

Edited by mjazzg

22 hours ago, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

upgrade to this dawg!

R-3429757-1331132458.jpeg.jpg

When I contacted the seller and complained about the condition of the LPs, he immediately offered to refund two-thirds of the price I'd originally paid.  So I decided to keep the album rather than return it. 

I guess he didn't want to bother with returns process either. Oh well. I'm fine with the mediocre-condition vinyl at the lower price.

0002180160.jpg

UK CBS stereo - stunning !

1 hour ago, erwbol said:

You all need to hear the Platinum SHM-CD of A Love Supreme with a flat transfer of the master tape. A thing of great beauty. 

Isn’t that ‘master tape’ the one originally used for these HMV LPs 50 years previously?

Edited by sidewinder

27 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Isn’t that ‘master tape’ the one originally used for these HMV LPs 50 years previously?

When comparing the different digital versions, I think quite a bit was done at the mastering stage to create the released sound. Diverse as they are, they seem to me more alike to each other then to the flat transfer. The same probably goes for the original vinyl, with the sound of subsequent releases taking it as a reference point.

I'm glad I bought the disc in 2013, though it wasn't cheap. The Platinum SHM-CD is long OOP, but with a bit of effort can be found in FLAC form on the internet. It's not like you haven't payed for A Love Supreme multiple times already.

The Howard Riley can be very difficult to find in great condition, like many of that Brit Jazz CBS batch. When you do, it isn’t cheap either. The vinyl is superb for catching the subtleties of Alan Jackson’s drumming though.

I have the ‘Crescent’ in the UK HMV mono pressing. I think it cost me about £15. :)

Tonight’s Turtle Records fest -

R-751901-1268737242.jpeg.jpg

R-1309732-1406235442-8838.jpeg.jpg

Edited by sidewinder