Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

R-2706069-1315261726.jpeg.jpg

Lou Donaldson - Cole Slaw (Cadet). Not the LD album I would take to a desert island. It took me awhile to figure out why Bruno Carr's drums sound so horrible and slushy. The drum kit is panned to the right channel, but the very heavy reverb on the cymbals is panned to the left. Once I figured that out, I ran side two mono, and it was at least more listenable.

I spinned the WNEW "Saturday Night Jazz Session", that old LP on the frensh America-Label. Especially for Fats Navarro´s Birthday Septtember 23nd.

I remember when I purchased it exactly 40 years ago, when I was lookin for more stuff of Fats Navarro (I already had the stuff he did with Bird and Bud in Birdland 1950, and the Savoy and Blue Note recordings and the Roost stuff with Tadd).

About that record: The first side is Roy Eldrige with Flip Phillips (dig Eldrige quoting the "modern" Ornithology" on How High the Moon.

And the second side a strange mixed line up: Fats, Bill Harris, Charlie Ventura, Allen Eager. And strange title "High on an open Mike" , and a very fast "Georgia Brown" with I think Fats´s voice annoucing Buddy Rich after his own solo.

Thank you @optatio for posting the cover of the Saturday Night Jazz Session.

And today I spinned also from the America Label Max Roach´s "Speak Brother Speak". It was my first Max Roach album, I purchased it after I saw them live. Never forgot how delighted I was about Max´ drum solo on Speak Brother Speak, it was similar to his famous solo "The Drum also Waltzes".

Those America label LPs were great, I collected them, they had good music, mostly Mingus, and they were easy to purchase in Europe and not expensive, so it was ideal for jazz youngsters like I was.

2 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Thank you @optatio for posting the cover of the Saturday Night Jazz Session.

And today I spinned also from the America Label Max Roach´s "Speak Brother Speak". It was my first Max Roach album, I purchased it after I saw them live. Never forgot how delighted I was about Max´ drum solo on Speak Brother Speak, it was similar to his famous solo "The Drum also Waltzes".

Those America label LPs were great, I collected them, they had good music, mostly Mingus, and they were easy to purchase in Europe and not expensive, so it was ideal for jazz youngsters like I was.

Because of Roach I regret, but here comes Mingus:

33908931df.jpg

33908935dj.jpg

CHARLIE MINGUS: PITHECANTHROPUS ERECTUS: AMERICA 30 AM 6109 [1971]

Yeah. In my just budding knowledge about jazz, but already being an avid fan of modern jazz, with very much interest in Mingus´ music, I just titled that "America" Label a "Charles Mingus label" because from all various artists I think the largest amount was on Mingus albums.

I had and still have: 1) Charles Mingus Quintet with Max Roach (I remember I was disappointed because I had hoped it will be the regular quinted with Roach added as a second drummer, making the stuff even more heavy and dense, but it´s only Max sittin in on two tunes, the rest is a quite tame Mingus playing mostly standards).
2) "Chazz" , which is the second part of the "Bohemia 1955" sessions
3) Above all: The Great Concert of Charles Mingus (with Dolphy in Paris)
4) Mingus at Monterey
5) Right Now, Mingus at the Jazz Workshop
6) My Favourite Quintet
7) and 8) Pyticantropus Erectus and Blue Bird, those are the America Sessions from 1970

And besides that I had the mostly Mingus-associated other stuff: Massey Hall Concert, Bud Powell Trio (same date, both with Mingus), The Fabulous Thad Jones (also with Mingus), Max Roach Speak Brother Speak (my impression then was "Mingus associated" because of the political message, and because of Mingus Alumni Cliff Jordan and Mal Waldron).
And of course "Saturday Night" Jazz Session (not Mingus, but I had the opinion that it might have been "recomandated by Mingus as worth listening

Smile : Mingus was kind of "God" to me in 1977,78. I was just an impressed kid and thought if others are on that "Mingus Label", it´s because Mingus brought them to it or considered that "we" (the audience) should listen to it.

So "Mingus" indirectly pulled my coat to Bird, to Bud, to Fats......, that´s how it was in those years for me.....