• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

39 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

R-2751451-1299439638.jpeg.jpg

John Graas -Jazz-Lab 1 [Brunswick]

purchased n a whim without knowing anything about it but some of the names involved. Pleased I did, very enjoyable

https://www.discogs.com/John-Graas-Jazz-Lab-1/release/2751451 , reissued in Germany in 1975 with one track more ("Be My Guest")  https://www.discogs.com/de/John-Graas-Septet-And-Nonetet-Westcoast-Workshop/release/5809961

20 minutes ago, optatio said:

Thanks. I'll be looking out for other dates now. It would seem that Jazz-Lab 2 demands higher prices, especially if in Europe. Can't be for the cover, or maybe it is :)

R-4125845-1381172037-2767.jpeg.jpg  

7 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Yeah. In my just budding knowledge about jazz, but already being an avid fan of modern jazz, with very much interest in Mingus´ music, I just titled that "America" Label a "Charles Mingus label" because from all various artists I think the largest amount was on Mingus albums.

I had and still have: 1) Charles Mingus Quintet with Max Roach (I remember I was disappointed because I had hoped it will be the regular quinted with Roach added as a second drummer, making the stuff even more heavy and dense, but it´s only Max sittin in on two tunes, the rest is a quite tame Mingus playing mostly standards).
2) "Chazz" , which is the second part of the "Bohemia 1955" sessions
3) Above all: The Great Concert of Charles Mingus (with Dolphy in Paris)
4) Mingus at Monterey
5) Right Now, Mingus at the Jazz Workshop
6) My Favourite Quintet
7) and 8) Pyticantropus Erectus and Blue Bird, those are the America Sessions from 1970

And besides that I had the mostly Mingus-associated other stuff: Massey Hall Concert, Bud Powell Trio (same date, both with Mingus), The Fabulous Thad Jones (also with Mingus), Max Roach Speak Brother Speak (my impression then was "Mingus associated" because of the political message, and because of Mingus Alumni Cliff Jordan and Mal Waldron).
And of course "Saturday Night" Jazz Session (not Mingus, but I had the opinion that it might have been "recomandated by Mingus as worth listening

Smile : Mingus was kind of "God" to me in 1977,78. I was just an impressed kid and thought if others are on that "Mingus Label", it´s because Mingus brought them to it or considered that "we" (the audience) should listen to it.

So "Mingus" indirectly pulled my coat to Bird, to Bud, to Fats......, that´s how it was in those years for me.....

The older ones of those were originally released here my Mingus/Roach on Debut. There was some sort of reciprocal agreement with a eurolabel of the same name, which is how some things like the Ayler & Cecil Taylor/Montmarte tings saw their original release on Fantasy/Debut here.

How they all got over to America (the label), I can't tell you. But that label saw some of its 70s (Mingus and Gillespie come to mind) dates released through Prestige, which was then part of Fantasy (which had by then taken control over the Mingus/Roach Debut label.

America had a licensing deal with Fantasy; they also put out some Creedence LPs.

Danish Debut was a fan club label and had a reciprocal arrangement with Debut/Fantasy on some releases until the late 1960s, when they went out of business. Most of their catalog after 1964 consisted of Danish artists.

17 hours ago, optatio said:

I´m going along with you - and Mingus! But this is another "pearl":

33910649om.jpg

33910656pr.jpg

THE FABULOUS PAUL BLEY QUINTET. AMERICA 30 AM 6120 [1971]

Of course ! I have forgotten to mention this one. I love it. It´s probably one of the few occasions where you here Ornette Coleman playing a Parker Tune, and Klactoveesedstene is not the easiest of them. And though the piano is underrecorded, I love those dark colours of "I Remember Harlem" and Ornettes Originals are great. I think, the best playing of Coleman is on "The Blessing", he plays beautiful stuff here. And "Free" was equally fascinating.

We were a small bunch of guys who were very much into that music on the edge from hardbop to avantgarde, Mingus´ music was part of it, and Ornette Coleman/Don Cherry/Paul Bley of course.

On 20-9-2018 at 10:18 PM, erwbol said:

You all need to hear the Platinum SHM-CD of A Love Supreme with a flat transfer of the master tape. A thing of great beauty. 

Intrigued by this post, I spent a small fortune (for a CD, that is) and bought a copy.  It sounds awesome, so thank you for pointing me there.

Quite coincidentally, the next CD I played (another recent purchase: the 2017 Emanem reissue of Spontaneous Music Ensemble's "Karyobin") was also a revelation, soundwise. Although completely different (Karyobin is not a flat transfer, but a remix and remastering from the original tapes), both CD's put to shame 99 out of 100 CD reissues I ever heard.

15 hours ago, JSngry said:

Thanks!

What else besides the Mingus & Gillespie things did they give to Fantasy to release on Prestige, anything?

There are a couple of Art Ensemble sessions for the America label that were reissued on Prestige.

Actually, "America" was the jazz label of the French Musidisc company (distributor of Fantasy/Prestige in France), so it would have been more like a two way traffic in the 1970's.

1 hour ago, corto maltese said:

There are a couple of Art Ensemble sessions for the America label that were reissued on Prestige.

Actually, "America" was the jazz label of the French Musidisc company (distributor of Fantasy/Prestige in France), so it would have been more like a two way traffic in the 1970's.

I remember now, AEC + some Shepp things as well. Coral Rock in particular.

R-10948038-1507024191-9347.jpeg.jpg

John Gordon - Erotica Suite [Everland reissue]

R-4208273-1358593740-1258.jpeg.jpg

Art Ensemble Of Chicago - Les Stances A Sophie [Nessa]

so happy to finally have this on vinyl. An important album in my journey to Jazz, hearing 'Theme De Yoyo' over a club sound system in the early 80s and having to ask the DJ what it was

Edited by mjazzg

1 hour ago, mjazzg said:

R-4208273-1358593740-1258.jpeg.jpg

Art Ensemble Of Chicago - Les Stances A Sophie [Nessa]

so happy to finally have this on vinyl. An important album in my journey to Jazz, hearing 'Theme De Yoyo' over a club sound system in the early 80s and having to ask the DJ what it was

Congratulations. But the hunt goes on for an affordable copy of the Pathé original :P.

Discogs lists an incredible total of 10 (ten!) pressing variations of the Nessa. I wonder if this was such a big seller.