What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

The "Al Haig meets ..." and "Nat Cole meets ..." volumes, in particular, were ear openers to some of the rarer sessions on Dial and elsewhere. And I think I relatively wore out my copy of the Dodo Marmarosa LP too (one of those cases where I ought to have picked up a cheap NM spare copy when the occasion presented itself).

Edited by Big Beat Steve

• Replies 55.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

0RW9NnR.jpg

4 hours ago, Big Beat Steve said:

The "Al Haig meets ..." and "Nat Cole meets ..." volumes, in particular, were ear openers to some of the rarer sessions on Dial and elsewhere. And I think I relatively wore out my copy of the Dodo Marmarosa LP too (one of those cases where I ought to have picked up a cheap NM spare copy when the occasion presented itself).

Back in the day, Tony Russell’s Spotlite Label and the Hep label from up in Scotland were great sources of bop material. I particularly like the Howard McGhee ‘Trumpet at Tempo’. 

Edited by sidewinder

eddiejerfersonthingswaregettinglp-400x40

Eddie Jefferson - Things Are Getting Better (Muse, 1974)
with Joe Newman, Billy Mitchell, Mickey Tucker, Sam Jones, and Eddie Gladden

Earlier:

KennyBurrell_Recapitulation.png

Kenny Burrell - Recapitulation (Chess, 2 LPs)
Burrell is presented in a variety of contexts on this compilation -- and he always sounds good.

R-2973345-1474830219-2807.jpeg.jpg

Dexter Gordon - Homecoming: Live at the Village Vanguard (Columbia)
Tonight's spin again confirms my long-held impressions about this music: The Woody Shaw / Louis Hayes group was a terrific band, but I don't think their pairing with Dexter -- at least in this instance -- comes off particularly well. Much of the time, it feels like Dexter's straining against them, rather than flying with them. The band is too stiff, too unyielding -- so Dex can never quite SOAR like he does when he's at his best.

... Just my 2 cents. ;) 

4 hours ago, HutchFan said:

R-2973345-1474830219-2807.jpeg.jpg

Dexter Gordon - Homecoming: Live at the Village Vanguard (Columbia)
Tonight's spin again confirms my long-held impressions about this music: The Woody Shaw / Louis Hayes group was a terrific band, but I don't think their pairing with Dexter -- at least in this instance -- comes off particularly well. Much of the time, it feels like Dexter's straining against them, rather than flying with them. The band is too stiff, too unyielding -- so Dex can never quite SOAR like he does when he's at his best.

... Just my 2 cents. ;) 

Same here ! I really agree to you, always had the same impression. I think I purchased it about 2 years after it came out in 1976. Dexter is at his best on "Manhattan Symphony" from 1978 which included most of the material he played live then.

Don´t misunderstand me: I love Woody Shaw and his groups, but as you said it, it was not the right choice to add Dexter to the Woody Shaw Group and make a Dexter-album out of it.

On the other hand, Dexter and Woody COULD play very fine music together, but with another rhythm section, like on "Great Encounters", and I think on "Gotham City", and on the 1977 Montreux Summit .......

7 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Same here ! I really agree to you, always had the same impression. I think I purchased it about 2 years after it came out in 1976. Dexter is at his best on "Manhattan Symphony" from 1978 which included most of the material he played live then.

7 hours ago, sidewinder said:

My preference amongst that Dexter CBS batch is ‘Sophisticated Giant’, with those fine Slide Hampton charts.

Yeah, when it comes to the CBS recs, I prefer Manhattan Symphonie too.  And I like Sophisticated Giant better also.

But my favorite "post-homecoming" Dexter recordings are from the Keystone Korner:

R-2724160-1298213087.jpeg.jpg

I feel like Dexter's MUCH more simpatico with this band.  I love this stuff.

7 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

But my favorite "post-homecoming" Dexter recordings are from the Keystone Korner:

R-2724160-1298213087.jpeg.jpg

I feel like Dexter's MUCH more simpatico with this band.  I love this stuff.

With that excellent George Cables + Rufus Reid + Eddie Gladden rhythm section ....

Homecoming...bought it, like within the first week of its release, there was definitely marketing leading up to it and a buzz as a result.

Truthfully, none of it sucks, but some cuts are better than others. A few rise above the "problems" referenced here, but a few is not all, right? Listening to it on LP was a challenge as a result. four sides, and none over the above-average cuts on any of the same side. And most all the reviews were of the "good but could have been better, and oh btw, check out Biting The Apple" type.

But the hype worked, the buzz was real, and there was a ripple effect for jazz - all types of jazz - in general. So, yeat, significant record, just not a great (enough) one.

Make mine Manhattan Symphonie as well.

On 10/1/2018 at 0:39 AM, optatio said:

Agreed!

Here is the back cover:

33964335hf.jpg

But Kent Carter claims that he's the bassist - see discogs: https://www.discogs.com/de/Mal-Waldron-The-Whirling-Dervish/release/2509314 

Here is the text on the back cover enlarged:

33964337uj.jpg

Who is right?

On 10/2/2018 at 3:34 AM, clifford_thornton said:

It's an excellent album though admittedly I haven't had it on deck in ages. Will listen and report back, as Carter is very easily identifiable. I assume one could ask Peter Warren as he's alive and well.

I'm pretty sure the bassist on "Whirling Dervish" is indeed Kent Carter.

On 10/1/2018 at 1:14 PM, mjazzg said:

R-7194638-1435858566-1942.jpeg.jpg

Anima - Monte Alto  [Play It Loud, 2015]

beautifully presented reissue of some fascinating music

I love Anima. Not only the music, but the whole "concept".

Limpe Fuchs is in her late 70's now, but still going strong.

1 hour ago, corto maltese said:

I'm pretty sure the bassist on "Whirling Dervish" is indeed Kent Carter.

I love Anima. Not only the music, but the whole "concept".

Limpe Fuchs is in her late 70's now, but still going strong.

It's a fabulous listen. 

This is my introduction to her. I've being doing some research and she certainly seems rather special. The Play Loud! label seem to be doing her proud, including a couple of intriguing films.

She's performing in London next month

Sonny Stitt - Stitt Plays Bird (Atlantic). For some reason, I seem to remember liking this better the last time I played it. Seems a bit of "where's my check" date for Sonny. My 70's LP sounds like shit too. I think there's some bits of paper pressed into both sides near the edge of the LP. Crackles galore. How did Jim Hall get on this? :)

Related image

Reall

18 minutes ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

Sonny Stitt - Stitt Plays Bird (Atlantic). For some reason, I seem to remember liking this better the last time I played it. Seems a bit of "where's my check" date for Sonny. My 70's LP sounds like shit too. I think there's some bits of paper pressed into both sides near the edge of the LP. Crackles galore. How did Jim Hall get on this? :)

Related image

Really? Can't speak to the sound quality I have it on a fine domestic CD but I like Sonny a lot here and especially enjoy John Lewis in this style. Not sure where else he ever did the bebop thing, certainly not over an entire album (?).

Just now, Dan Gould said:

Reall

Really? Can't speak to the sound quality I have it on a fine domestic CD but I like Sonny a lot here and especially enjoy John Lewis in this style. Not sure where else he ever did the bebop thing, certainly not over an entire album (?).

I don't know what happened today... maybe I'm just not in the mood for Sonny playing like Bird? Now playing is fitting my mood much better:..

Oliver Jackson - Billie's Bounce (Black & Blue). I am very glad i bought this during my last trip to Stereo Jack's. I saw Norris Turney's name on there and I had to take a chance.

Image result for oliver jackson billie's bounce Image result for oliver jackson billie's bounce

What's up with the prices on the CD version of this? I figured I'd pick up a copy, but not for $70! It's good, but it's not that good. :D

3 hours ago, JSngry said:

Homecoming...bought it, like within the first week of its release, there was definitely marketing leading up to it and a buzz as a result.

Truthfully, none of it sucks, but some cuts are better than others. A few rise above the "problems" referenced here, but a few is not all, right? Listening to it on LP was a challenge as a result. four sides, and none over the above-average cuts on any of the same side. And most all the reviews were of the "good but could have been better, and oh btw, check out Biting The Apple" type.

But the hype worked, the buzz was real, and there was a ripple effect for jazz - all types of jazz - in general. So, yeat, significant record, just not a great (enough) one.

Make mine Manhattan Symphonie as well.

Yeah, ‘Homecoming’ was a popular jazz release with a buzz about it over here too. Remember hearing several of the tracks on a Beeb show. Being a cheapskate at the time though, I bought it as a deletion !

24 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

... I like Sonny a lot here and especially enjoy John Lewis in this style. Not sure where else he ever did the bebop thing, certainly not over an entire album (?).

Easy enough to forget, but he played piano with Dizzy's big band in the RCA era and wrote "Two Bass Hit" for them. Not that you'll hear him going all Bud Powell in that band (when you hear him at all), but he was right there, in that place, doing that thing, beeping that bop.

53 minutes ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

How did Jim Hall get on this? :)

Related image

Jim Hall got called for a lot of dates where there was an MJQ element/contingent.

4 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Easy enough to forget, but he played piano with Dizzy's big band in the RCA era and wrote "Two Bass Hit" for them. Not that you'll hear him going all Bud Powell in that band (when you hear him at all), but he was right there, in that place, doing that thing, beeping that bop.

Jim Hall got called for a lot of dates where there was an MJQ element/contingent.

Yeah but you know how I mean, other major soloist on a pure bop record. John Lewis had serious skills across the music. I remember hearing a big band recording, Benny Carter tunes and arrangements -  Central City Sketches maybe? Was in the 90s or so. At the time I didn't expect Lewis to sound so great in that style, too. 

30 minutes ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

I don't know what happened today... maybe I'm just not in the mood for Sonny playing like Bird? Now playing is fitting my mood much better:..

Oliver Jackson - Billie's Bounce (Black & Blue). I am very glad i bought this during my last trip to Stereo Jack's. I saw Norris Turney's name on there and I had to take a chance.

Image result for oliver jackson billie's bounce Image result for oliver jackson billie's bounce

What's up with the prices on the CD version of this? I figured I'd pick up a copy, but not for $70! It's good, but it's not that good. :D

Woh that looks like a good 'un to find. LP only apparently. :g 

48 minutes ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

Quite a few of those Black & Blue CD releases are fetching high dollars in the re-sellers' market these days. . .