• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

13 hours ago, JSngry said:

check out Biting The Apple" type.

Yes, "Biting the Apple" is really a great album, much better sounding and much better organized than "Homecoming" . And I love the rhythm section Barry Harris, Sam Jones Al Foster very much, and the choice of tunes....

Sophisticated Giant didn´t really become my favourite, maybe I thought it´s a bit too arranged. But I might listen again to it.

Great Encounters has good music on it, especially the Gordon-Griffin encounter, and the Eddie Jefferson encounter is fun, but the whole album isn´t really a unity, more a compilation.

Late night New Orleans brass band singles:

Chosen Few Brass Band - Food Stamp Blues / Big Fat Woman (Syla)
Olympia Brass Band - Mardi Gras in New Orleans, parts 1 & 2 (OBB)
Olympia Brass Band - Gotta Woman / Tuba Fats and Drums (OBB). This record would be more accurately titled "I Got a Woman, parts 1 & 2."

On 10/3/2018 at 1:58 PM, Dan Gould said:

Yeah but you know how I mean, other major soloist on a pure bop record. John Lewis had serious skills across the music. I remember hearing a big band recording, Benny Carter tunes and arrangements -  Central City Sketches maybe? Was in the 90s or so. At the time I didn't expect Lewis to sound so great in that style, too. 

Woh that looks like a good 'un to find. LP only apparently. :g 

The LP version of the Oliver Jackson abounds here in NYC; there are dead/old stock copies that should run you about five bucks.

39 minutes ago, jeffcrom said:

R-975882-1179792971.jpeg.jpg

Steve Kuhn - Trance (ECM)

Excellent. :tup 

R-1263277-1204701645.jpeg.jpg

Harold Vick - Don't Look Back (Strata-East)
I took the leap and plopped for the Pure Pleasure reissue of this LP.  It arrived in the mail today (from Dusty Groove), and I'm giving it a first spin right now.  :D 

4 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

The LP version of the Oliver Jackson abounds here in NYC; there are dead/old stock copies that should run you about five bucks.

Must not be selling on discogs.  All from Europe now, discogs and one copy on eBay. I'll keep watching though.

the sketchy looking used furnature place on the site of former pacific jazz HQ, it makes me happy that they have a lot of really good yelp reviews, people've been happy with their furnature there

oh and what am i playin now- chet baker sings 45 rpm ep- im getting rid of this one, i cant believe chet baker sung.   hes no michael franks

Edited by chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez

1 minute ago, sidewinder said:

So - table tennis is out and cricket is in? :D

I'd love to see Han Bennink playing cricket. After all I've seen him play most other things including his boots, the stage floor and QEH walls :D

14 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Damn shame that it was never reissued on CD.

Neither did his Oguns, did they? I should pick the LPs up really