Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

10 hours ago, JSngry said:

What are your thoughts on that one? I've never had it gel the way I'd like to, but keep wondering if I have unrealistic expectations.

Didn't work for me.  Too long ago to remember why.

Edited by JohnS

4 hours ago, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

was going to get rid of this but then i tested it and its actually not a mood music lp but jazz piano almost more of the hard bop kind.  on disocgs it says he is on the split lp on guest star shared w/ don garner feat.jimmy smith-- u think it could be a pseudonim for ramsey lewis?

R-554439-1313511935.jpeg.jpg

I wouldn't bet on it. But Lewes is a VERY unusual spelling for a personal name. I used to live in a town called Lewes and I've never heard of a person by that name, not even from there.

But I checked the Lord discography and there are zero musicians called Lewes in the index. Nor are there any called Wilson Lewis.

So it's an open question. But this has GOT to be mid-sixties stuff and Ramsey was TOO well known and successful to be making anonymous recordings in those days. And he made four of the buggers! SURELY not!!!!

MG

2 minutes ago, Simon Weil said:

Thank you. Well, I've heard of one now. I see his grandfather came from up Cumbria, which is practically in Scotland.

2 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Hell, it might even be different people on each record!

Quite right. Diplomat, according to Discogs, was owned by Synthetic Plastics, so isn't the kind of label one would naturally associate with being terribly straight up and down.

MG