• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Diplomat was one of the "supermarket labels", labels for places that "sold records" but not "real records", if you know what I mean. Don't know the situation over there, but back in the day here, you could find records in a LOT of places, dime stores, grocery stores, furniture stores, tire stores (sic), general goods stores, drug stores, a lot of different places. And only some carried current hits and/or major labels. Those who didn't, omg, that's where you got Crown, Diplomat, Design, Grand Prix, labels like that. And don't get me going on the places that sold cutout 45s in plastic bags for, like, 39 cents or 3/$1.

I keep saying this, but/and it's true - records used to be, almost literally, everywhere.

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

Diplomat was one of the "supermarket labels", labels for places that "sold records" but not "real records", if you know what I mean. Don't know the situation over there, but back in the day here, you could find records in a LOT of places, dime stores, grocery stores, furniture stores, tire stores (sic), general goods stores, drug stores, a lot of different places. And only some carried current hits and/or major labels. Those who didn't, omg, that's where you got Crown, Diplomat, Design, Grand Prix, labels like that. And don't get me going on the places that sold cutout 45s in plastic bags for, like, 39 cents or 3/$1.

I keep saying this, but/and it's true - records used to be, almost literally, everywhere.

I used to buy 45s at the "corner store" which was a combination pharmacy/soda fountain/candy store/newstand. Hartman's Pharmacy. Those were the days. I especially remember being around 9 or 10 and coming home with a 45 of Led Zeppelin's "Whole Lotta Love", playing it on the record player and singing "Gonna give you every inch of my love" and wondering why my mother came screeching into the room, ripped it off the player and telling me, "This is going back". I had no idea what was going on. :)

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

Yeah, it was similar over here but it was mainly majors who made 'em. A few indies like ARC and the Czech label Supraphon were in there, too, but not many. And some of their stuff was wonderful. I've never heard a recording of Debussy's string quartet I liked better than the one by the Vlach Quartet on Supraphon - and I kick myself weekly for having flogged it!

MG

8 minutes ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

I used to buy 45s at the "corner store" which was a combination pharmacy/soda fountain/candy store/newstand. Hartman's Pharmacy. Those were the days. I especially remember being around 9 or 10 and coming home with a 45 of Led Zeppelin's "Whole Lotta Love", playing it on the record player and singing "Gonna give you every inch of my love" and wondering why my mother came screeching into the room, ripped it off the player and telling me, "This is going back". I had no idea what was going on. :)

Dude, I grew up in a town with a population of around 6,000. We had a drugstore, Jobe Drug, that had a little 3-wide/2 deep LP bin that kept the current releases in rock, Pop, Easy Listening, and Country, as well as a 45 rack right above it that always had the Top 20 hits. But dig this - they didn't use the Billboard Top 20, they used the Top 40 list provided by the rack jobber. This was no secret, there was always, like, 5-10 copies of this list hanging by the records, help yourself, and the jobbers name address and phone # was prominently displayed. The Shreveport Times (the then-"big city" newspaper for our area used to print the Billboard Top 20 every Sunday, so it was fun for a geek kid like me to contrast and compare, It was almost always the same songs but often in different order. thus the notion of "regional hit" became planted in my mind, which confirmed why and how I could hear different songs on different Top 40 station across the country (to the extent that post-sundown AM radio stations could be heard where I lived, which was well enough, all things considered).

Jobe Drug also carried a selection of pulp "detective" magazines that told sordid stories about the illicit side of life, always one story about prostitution, and at some point those pages would have on topless photo, nothing splashy, just...there. None of us had the nerve to go to the town's newsstand and actually look at a Playboy, but in Jobe Drug, those detective mags were at the front of the store, the opposite side of where anybody worked, and were mixed in with the sports and outdoors and car and all the other mags, so, you know...word got around among us 13 year olds.

Here's the obit of the guy who ran it: https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/statesman/obituary.aspx?page=lifestory&pid=106116639

There's this little tidbit, which I never knew:

Always the progressive thinker, Jobe joined with Tom Perryman to sponsor Elvis Presley's singing debut in 1955 while associated with the Gladewater Junior Chamber of Commerce.

Yes, Elvis played Gladewater in 1955, that I knew, it's still a point of local pride (sic). But I never knew that Mr. Jobe was involved. That makes a lot of things fall into place!

59 minutes ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

:lol::lol: Classic !

11 hours ago, JSngry said:

Over the last few years, as I've gotten into some committed classical listening, Supraphon has pretty much become a "buy on sight" label for me. I'm sure they did some lesser product, but so far, everything I've found on them has been excellent!

Do you have the Debussy/Ravel quartets LP?

MG

12 hours ago, The Magnificent Goldberg said:

I've never heard a recording of Debussy's string quartet I liked better than the one by the Vlach Quartet on Supraphon - and I kick myself weekly for having flogged it!

MG

The Vlach Quartet Debussy Ravel is excellent .... saw also release as CD via the "Supraphon Archives" series ....

1 hour ago, mjazzg said:

R-11965725-1525630720-7886.jpeg.jpg

Alan Braufman - Valley Of Search [Valley Of Search]

been listening to this on Spotify since release and finally purchased the LP.  A great record and very fine reissue edition.  Notes are mighty fine too...I'd actually like them longer CT

One of the few albums that makes me wish I still had a turntable.

2 hours ago, mjazzg said:

R-11965725-1525630720-7886.jpeg.jpg

Alan Braufman - Valley Of Search [Valley Of Search]

been listening to this on Spotify since release and finally purchased the LP.  A great record and very fine reissue edition.  Notes are mighty fine too...I'd actually like them longer CT

yeah, had a max word count so that's about the best I could do given the space. Thanks!