What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

R-1477546-1222629160.jpeg.jpg R-1477546-1222629342.jpeg.jpg

Willem Breuker - Baal Brecht Breuker [Bhvaast]

and yes, it does come in a hessian bag. Featuring the ever marvellous Han Bennink's credit for "tapedance" which I take to be a mistranslation rather than anything more exotic.

Edited by mjazzg

• Replies 55.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

R-6539393-1421554826-8946.jpeg.jpg  R-430387-1280993547.jpeg.jpg

Imperial Brass Band - A New Orleans Street Parade: Live in Paris (Sandcastle)

Hamiet Bluiett Quartet - SOS (India Navigation)

The Imperial BB was trumpeter Alvin Alcorn's group, visiting Paris in the mid 1970s sometime. Five of the seven tracks were obviously recorded in concert; they turn into the kind of string-of-solos brass band performances I don't much like. The last two tracks, though, were apparently recorded on the street and used for a radio broadcast. They are much better - ensemble all the way.

1 hour ago, Chuck Nessa said:

In 1966 Sam Charters showed up in the Jazz Record Mart (aka Delmark) and he told me I should give him Bob Koester's phone book to copy some numbers. I declined, but he went ahead with his project.

He told you, eh? Sounds like a pretty arrogant guy.

R-2340250-1283104403.jpeg.jpg

An Evening with Ornette Coleman [2] (Black Lion)

181037383444.jpg  R-607254-1274296246.jpeg.jpg

Earlier and now:

Fats Domino Presents Dave Bartholomew and his Great Big Band (Imperial stereo). I want to go on record as saying that I'm pretty sure the excellent organist featured on this 1961 record, "Bobby James," is in fact the great James Booker. "Bobby James" never made another recorded appearance. Bartholomew used Booker frequently on record dates, but during this period Booker was under contract to Peacock Records, for whom he recorded "Gonzo" and several other organ singles. So he would have indeed needed a pseudonym for this record.

Derek Bailey/Steve Lacy - Company 4 (Incus)

1 hour ago, Chuck Nessa said:

In 1966 Sam Charters showed up in the Jazz Record Mart (aka Delmark) and he told me I should give him Bob Koester's phone book to copy some numbers. I declined, but he went ahead with his project.

I believe that Sam's wife Ann took that picture. The El station at 35th and State, right? The place where JB Hutto played was just below the station.

Sam was quite an operator -- not always a sufficiently careful one, if that's the way to put it. He sure made a hash of the reissue of the John Hammond Vanguard Records jazz albums. I wrote to the people at the Moss Music Group about what he  had done to that point because it seemed like there'd be more to come in the series to come, and the job needed to be done right. As a result, Sam lost the gig. I learned through a friend of Sam and Ann's who was a longtime friend of mine that Sam was furious at me for what I'd done. OK, I thought -- but why not just do it right in the first place? 

The problem BTW was that most, but not all, of the Hammond Vanguard albums were 10-inchers. Thus, it was important that the series -- which probably was going to be bought by collectors who wanted to replace their old LPs or didn't have all of the originals  or people who had heard  tell of the quality of the music and wanted to acquire it for the first time -- be assembled on CDs so that the integrity of the various original sessions was preserved as much as possible. How to do this might have been tricky in some  cases, but Sam made little or not attempt at it; sessions were scattered among two or more CDs. Further, personnel listings were all screwed up; and IIRC there were similar problems with the liner notes. One still bought the reissues, albeit with smoke coming out of one's ears, because that that was the only choice if one didn't have  all the old Vanguard LPs. Further, again IIRC, it would have been just as easy, or almost as easy, to do it the right way instead of the "throw things up in the air and see where they land" approach that Sam seemed to have taken.