Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

50 minutes ago, Larry Kart said:

I believe that Sam's wife Ann took that picture. The El station at 35th and State, right? The place where JB Hutto played was just below the station.

Sam was quite an operator -- not always a sufficiently careful one, if that's the way to put it. He sure made a hash of the reissue of the John Hammond Vanguard Records jazz albums. I wrote to the people at the Moss Music Group about what he  had done to that point because it seemed like there'd be more to come in the series to come, and the job needed to be done right. As a result, Sam lost the gig. I learned through a friend of Sam and Ann's who was a longtime friend of mine that Sam was furious at me for what I'd done. OK, I thought -- but why not just do it right in the first place? 

The problem BTW was that most, but not all, of the Hammond Vanguard albums were 10-inchers. Thus, it was important that the series -- which probably was going to be bought by collectors who wanted to replace their old LPs or didn't have all of the originals  or people who had heard  tell of the quality of the music and wanted to acquire it for the first time -- be assembled on CDs so that the integrity of the various original sessions was preserved as much as possible. How to do this might have been tricky in some  cases, but Sam made little or not attempt at it; sessions were scattered among two or more CDs. Further, personnel listings were all screwed up; and IIRC there were similar problems with the liner notes. One still bought the reissues, albeit with smoke coming out of one's ears, because that that was the only choice if one didn't have  all the old Vanguard LPs. Further, again IIRC, it would have been just as easy, or almost as easy, to do it the right way instead of the "throw things up in the air and see where they land" approach that Sam seemed to have taken.

I bought those Vanguard CDs because I wanted to hear the music, and was happy that I could finally hear it, but it was reissued (as you note) in a frustratingly crazy manner.
All of this shouldn't stop anyone else from getting the Hammond produced Vanguard CDs. The music is great and so is the sound, and it will probably never be reissued in any other form. Carpe diem.

See the source image

Gonna Squeeze My Guitar (UA Japan)

5 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Yeah, me too. Can't imagine it was official and I don't know the label, 'Seeds'.  Just 300 made of it according to Discogs

Seeds was the original pressing -- that was Mait Edey's label. My understanding is that as Seeds was in the process of folding, Jeanne took the tapes and issued it herself on Earthforms (this was also back in the 1970s). Now, a new "Earthforms" pressing has appeared but I cannot imagine it's connected to her heirs as they have been very protective (and rightly so) when it comes to her material being reissued posthumously. 

12 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

Seeds was the original pressing -- that was Mait Edey's label. My understanding is that as Seeds was in the process of folding, Jeanne took the tapes and issued it herself on Earthforms (this was also back in the 1970s). Now, a new "Earthforms" pressing has appeared but I cannot imagine it's connected to her heirs as they have been very protective (and rightly so) when it comes to her material being reissued posthumously. 

That's my understanding too. The Seeds label original (with a slightly different cover design) is quite rare. I guess there were more records pressed than covers made, because you can find (vintage) copies with a Seeds label in an Earthforms cover.

Discogs now lists 2018 "exact repro editions" of the Earthforms ànd the Seeds issue, both supposedly limited to 300 copies. The rather strange world of bootlegging...

Anyway, it's a beautiful album.

Now:

JakiByard_TherellBeSomeChangesMade.png

Jaki Byard - There'll Be Some Changes Made (Muse)
First listen of a new-to-me LP.  No surprise: Byard is magnificent. 

Earlier:

GrooveHolmes_JazzMilestonesSeries.png

Richard "Groove" Holmes - Jazz Milestones Series (Pacific Jazz)
My LP is actually mono, not stereo.

Edited by HutchFan

This one !

This album has a special meaning to me.
It was around 1977 and I was a new born jazz fan. Until then I only had two LP´s (Miles Davis "Steamin´" and Charles Mingus "Mingus Ah Um")

A good source of information during that days was a radio programm on Saturday Night called "Jazz Shop". The DC Herwig Wurzer spinned and commented records that were new ore newly reissued on the jazz market and he was a voice in the night like Symphony Sid would have been for those a generation before me.

He played the first 2 tunes "Winterset" and the fantastic slow blues "Gotcha Goin and Comin".

I think I haven´t spinned that for 4 decades. Almost have forgotten how good it is, everybody, Byrd´s trumpet is fantastic, Frank Foster, Hank Jones, Paul Chambers (my "hero" from the classic Miles Davis quinted, see..... those men Miles Trane, Red, Paul, Philly J.J. was heroes to me like let´s say for the teenie girls would be John Travolta then...).

Highly recommended if you find it or have it. Play it !

Unbenannt.png