• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am aware of the second series (with the six smaller cover pics) which was re-used for facsimile reissues in the 80s but I cannot recall the other one with the screaming teens. Probably not used for reissues because by then it appeared too "dated" to the execs. 

This kind of cover photos showing teens in various poses of ecstasy and/or partying was used widely in the 50s, it seems, e.g. on various R&B/R'n'R compilations on Savoy, as well as a cash-in attempt elsewhere for quite unlikely acts.

On 06/11/2018 at 1:04 PM, JSngry said:

I suspect it was a series.

rockin_the_blues_1.jpg

5970897_1.jpg

Another such thing:

atlantic-rock-roll-series-record-covers-

I think the crowd scene sleeves were a French idea. Here's the sleeve of Ray Charles a Newport - which was the one I got in '59 from Harrods (where I got staff discount).

R-4070731-1354233455-6865.jpeg.jpg

French photos MAY explain why the crowds are all white.

MG

@MG:

I cannot be sure about the origin of the photos but I do think these came from the US. Somehow the type of "bobbysoxers" does look familiar from other (US) photos from that period. Maybe a series of pics taken at an Elvis concert (hence the extreme emotion)? ;)

The French often had different covers for many of their domestically pressed, printed and released versions originating from the USA but the one you show must have been a relatively short-lived one. I have a relatively early French pressing of the Newport LP with the "other" (familiar) cover.

And the Joe Turner "Rockin' The Blues" LP, for example, was first published in the US in 1958 and was also issued with that "crowd" cover in the UK on London.