• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

17 hours ago, paul secor said:

R-3126534-1317001125.jpeg.jpg

Some wild (uncredited, but my ears tell me it's he) guitar by Buddy Guy on the Wynonie Harris sides, and some fine tenor solos by Ben Webster on the Hibbler sides.

Nah, Tony Collins, the author of "Rock Mr. Blues - The Life and Music of Wynone Harris" says in the appended discography that his prime candidate is Matt Murphy.  ;)

23 minutes ago, Big Beat Steve said:

Nah, Tony Collins, the author of "Rock Mr. Blues - The Life and Music of Wynone Harris" says in the appended discography that his prime candidate is Matt Murphy.  ;)

Could be Matt Murphy. A good friend of mine who's a knowledgeable listener thinks it's Buddy Guy also. Guy was under contract to Chess when the Harris recordings were made. At this point, who knows for sure?

R-10593436-1500571831-9400.jpeg.jpg  R-7154284-1461622981-7614.jpeg.jpg

New and old 10-inch LPs:

Lee Morgan - The Roulette Sides (Stateside). 2017 reissue of Morgan's half of a split Roulette album.

Louis Armstrong - Vol. 1: New Orleans Days (Decca). From 1950, the first Armstrong LP to be recorded for that format; previous LPs were collections of his singles.

Edited by jeffcrom

First of all I must say, I´m not a Peterson-Fan like many others. My kind of jazz is more advanced, but I must admit I kept 3 albums that I like to listen to , sometimes:

Night Train, We Get Requests (I like them because they are not so overplayed, Peterson doesn´t dominate everything like he did later) , and

In Tune: I think this was somehow en vogue in the 70´s. It sold well and many people would fredonate "Sesame Street". Everything has that ´70´s touch, Bonnie Herman on the foto looks like the 1970 dream girl, the music is a mixture of ballads , slow bossas like Gentle Rain and Shadow of Your Smile.

The Singers Unlimited were great and the had great succes in those days, and Peterson who normally dominates everything, really fits into the whole stuff. I like to listen to this sometimes.

Unbenannt.png