Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

R-4704871-1375662353-6944.jpeg.jpg

Kid Howard - Sam Morgan Re-Visited (Jazzology). The meat of this album is a 1962 set of five tunes first recorded by Sam Morgan's Jazz Band in 1927, plus one other tune by the same personnel. The seven-piece band is mostly composed of veterans of the Morgan band, including two musicians (Jim Robinson and Andrew Morgan) who played on the 1927 sessions. It's an incredibly exciting session, and the stereo recording suggests how great the Morgan band must have sounded in person.

In addition to the "Morgan" sides, there four 1960 tracks by a primo version of Kid Thomas Valentine's band.

This was one of the two LPs I bought on my first visit to Preservation Hall (and New Orleans) in 1990, when they still had a rack of LPs for sale in the carriageway - so it means a lot to me beyond the excellent music in the grooves.

R-6630720-1444166792-7357.jpeg.jpg

Earl Hines - My Tribute to Louis (Audiophile). Chuck Nessa gave me the heads up about how special this one is. Recorded less than two weeks after Louis Armstrong's death on a fine Steinway piano, with engineering by the recording genius Ewing Nunn.

Edited by jeffcrom

R-5681008-1431568313-4316.jpeg.jpg

Olympia Brass Band - New Orleans Street Parade (BASF). Some of the Olympia's recordings are kind of trite and "touristy," but this 1968 German studio date is raw and fiery. The band is filled out with a few European ringers, including German trombonist Frank Naundorf. This was his first recorded appearance with the Olympia, but apparently it was a fit, because the next year he moved to New Orleans and became a regular member of the band.