Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

11 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

I like that Jerome Cooper record; it sounds like field recordings, sort of an 'ethnography' of free music.

wish that Serro had issued that Charles 'Bobo' Shaw Ensemble record with Lester & Byron Bowie, Alex Blake and Richard Martin. Shaw said it was one of his favorite sessions.

I like the 'ethnography' descriptor.  It's vital music and does transcend the recording quality.

The Shaw Ensemble recording would be great to hear. I've never heard a Charles Shaw recording I've not really enjoyed

Edited by mjazzg

6 hours ago, mjazzg said:

The Shaw Ensemble recording would be great to hear. I've never heard a Charles Shaw recording I've not really enjoyed

I'm not sure whether it was going to be a Kharma release or a Danola release, but it never came out. Serro was trying to sell the tapes but then he passed, so... who knows. They were mastered and ready to go, too. Bummer.

49 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Yes, white label from the mid 1960s.

That guy, whoever's name, knew what he was doing.

1 hour ago, sidewinder said:

Funilly enough, I prefer the sound for the side 1 tracks on the 24000 series ‘Sonny Rollins’ 2LP set. Found the Transatlantic by chance a while back - didn’t cost much either.

I find the twoofers' sound excellent, it was my introducion to a lot of new music, maybe I am not really impartial about it.

Edited by porcy62

On ‎09‎.‎01‎.‎2019 at 6:06 PM, porcy62 said:

Guess it's time for some Vodka Martini, olives and Jackie McLean's

41454.jpg

Though Jackie McLean recorded much more originals during that time, it´s welcome to hear him play standards on this. It is much better than the many Prestige records he did in the mid fifties. I also enjoy this very much. "Let´s face the music and dance" I think was not often recorded by jazz artists. A strange tune, and not too easy running thru the changes..... quite a challenge for improvisers......

The_Power_of_Postive_Swinging.jpg

Getting to the end of a large discogs order - was this one issued at the time?  I did not know Mainstream to be active in 1965.

Anyway had to point out the wonderful quote by Clark Terry at the end of the liners:

"It seemed to me there's too much put-down music, put-on music, hurray-for-me music and the-hell-with-everybody music. So we thought we'd have some compatible music."

18 hours ago, porcy62 said:

That guy, whoever's name, knew what he was doing.

I find the twoofers' sound excellent, it was my introducion to a lot of new music, maybe I am not really impartial about it.

I was a bit mean on the Transatlantic - with the volume cranked up it sounds pretty good. The sound is maybe a bit crisper/polite that typical Prestige, with less ‘bloom’. The issue is from 1966 according to the label and interestingly, no RVG in the runout (not unusual for Transatlantics and Xtras).

The 24000 series were some of the earliest LPs I ever got (the Rollins being first, at the time of issue). Not only generally good sonics but often fine sleevenotes too.

Edited by sidewinder

2 hours ago, sidewinder said:

I was a bit mean on the Transatlantic - with the volume cranked up it sounds pretty good. The sound is maybe a bit crisper/polite that typical Prestige, with less ‘bloom’. The issue is from 1966 according to the label and interestingly, no RVG in the runout (not unusual for Transatlantics and Xtras).

All Transatlantic of Pentangle (and family) I've got are marvellous sounding, agree about crisper and polite, the white label's are less relaxed then later pressings/issues, that I find a little dull