• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

The_Power_of_Postive_Swinging.jpg

Getting to the end of a large discogs order - was this one issued at the time?  I did not know Mainstream to be active in 1965.

Anyway had to point out the wonderful quote by Clark Terry at the end of the liners:

"It seemed to me there's too much put-down music, put-on music, hurray-for-me music and the-hell-with-everybody music. So we thought we'd have some compatible music."

probably issued at the time, label began in '64.

R-8297376-1458859987-5403.jpeg.jpg

Frank Foster & Frank Wess - Two for the Blues (Pablo)
with Kenny Barron, Rufus Reid, and Marvin "Smitty" Smith

IMO, the two Franks are right up there with the legendary two-tenor duos: Lockjaw & JG, Stitt & Ammons, Cohn & Zoot. 

15 hours ago, paul secor said:

See the source image

I'm not a Hal Galper fan, but Lee Konitz does some very good blowing on this one.

Lee does sound good on that one. He's such a consistent musician, especially in a duo context.

I like Galper's playing too though. ;) 

Edited by HutchFan

R-2673306-1465916445-7967.jpeg.jpg

Max Roach - Chattahoochee Red (Columbia, 1981)
with Odean Pope, Cecil Bridgewater, and Calvin Hill

Vital music from a killer band. 

I think I'm repeating myself, but ... it's so strange that this LP has never been reissued. Even if Sony/Legacy sleeps on it, it seems like somebody should have/would have licensed it by now. ... Wounded Bird? BGO? Where are you guys? For heaven's sake, it's Max Roach!!!

10 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

R-2673306-1465916445-7967.jpeg.jpg

Max Roach - Chattahoochee Red (Columbia, 1981)
with Odean Pope, Cecil Bridgewater, and Calvin Hill

Vital music from a killer band. 

I think I'm repeating myself, but ... it's so strange that this LP has never been reissued. Even if Sony/Legacy sleeps on it, it seems like somebody should have/would have licensed it by now. ... Wounded Bird? BGO? Where are you guys? For heaven's sake, it's Max Roach!!!

And iirc, Max licensed it to Columbia and retained the rights afterwards. I might be wrong about that, but that's what I remember.

7 minutes ago, JSngry said:

And iirc, Max licensed it to Columbia and retained the rights afterwards. I might be wrong about that, but that's what I remember.

Hmm. That seems like that would make it even easier for a reissue label to license the music. I'd rather deal with Max's heirs than some giant multi-national corporation. ... Then again, I know NOTHING about the business side of things.

Anyhow, I enjoyed that Max LP so much that I've queued up another by the same quartet:

61JetpdrjEL._SY495_.jpg

Max Roach - Pictures in a Frame (Soul Note, 1979)

More great music!  :) 

4 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Hmm. That seems like that would make it even easier for a reissue label to license the music. I'd rather deal with Max's heirs than some giant multi-national corporation. ... Then again, I know NOTHING about the business side of things.

Yeah, you'd think. But estates can be funny sometimes. And somebody has to want to license it to begin with. I don't know how many "friends in the record business" that Max left behind, other than Bruce Lundvall?

And I'm not 100% sure about the ownership thing. 98%, probably, but that's not 100%