Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, kh1958 said:

The Louis Armstrong Story volume 3, Louis Armstrong and Earl Hines (Columbia)

1 hour ago, paul secor said:

A desert island LP for me.

44 minutes ago, kh1958 said:

Ditto.

Never mind desert island, that one's a whole continent unto itself!

R-4719696-1373319101-2029.jpeg.jpg  R-4697829-1494767518-4136.jpeg.jpg  R-2791412-1322853142.jpeg.jpg

A friend who is a real estate agent in Atlanta called me this afternoon; he had just listed a house. It was empty except for some stuff in the basement that the family was going to take to Goodwill. Among the "junk" was two boxes of records. My friend noticed a good bit of jazz, along with R & B and blues - would I like to take a look before they went out for donation? Well, yes. I came home with about thirty records, although because of the widely varying condition I probably won't keep them all. The first three:

Cecil Taylor - Stereo Drive (United Artists stereo). About VG: quite listenable, but with consistent low-level hiss.

Ronnie Scott/Tubby Hayes - The Couriers of Jazz! (Carlton mono). Solid VG+, and excellent music I had never heard.

Lightnin' Hopkins - Lightinin' Strikes (Verve Folkways stereo). Strong VG, almost VG+.  A nice 1965 date recorded in LA, with Jimmy Bond on bass and the great Earl Palmer on drums.

37 minutes ago, jeffcrom said:

R-4719696-1373319101-2029.jpeg.jpg  R-4697829-1494767518-4136.jpeg.jpg  R-2791412-1322853142.jpeg.jpg

A friend who is a real estate agent in Atlanta called me this afternoon; he had just listed a house. It was empty except for some stuff in the basement that the family was going to take to Goodwill. Among the "junk" was two boxes of records. My friend noticed a good bit of jazz, along with R & B and blues - would I like to take a look before they went out for donation? Well, yes. I came home with about thirty records, although because of the widely varying condition I probably won't keep them all. The first three:

Cecil Taylor - Stereo Drive (United Artists stereo). About VG: quite listenable, but with consistent low-level hiss.

Ronnie Scott/Tubby Hayes - The Couriers of Jazz! (Carlton mono). Solid VG+, and excellent music I had never heard.

Lightnin' Hopkins - Lightinin' Strikes (Verve Folkways stereo). Strong VG, almost VG+.  A nice 1965 date recorded in LA, with Jimmy Bond on bass and the great Earl Palmer on drums.

Keep us posted. This might turn out to be a good story. Definitely interesting so far.

R-5279872-1389474935-6448.jpeg.jpg  R-1021785-1487514078-1823.jpeg.jpg

The next round of my real estate freebies:

Cannonball Adderley - Why Am I Treated So Bad (Capitol mono). I chose this next because it appears to be in the best condition of all the records I picked up today - VG+ approaching NM. But I dislike the distant recording quality, and Cannonball in this period has always been somewhat disappointing to me, considering what an interesting band he had.

Aretha Franklin - Soul '69 (Atlantic stereo). VG+, and the music is excellent - no surprise there. I wasn't familiar with the album before now - it's more jazz/blues oriented than most of Aretha's Atlantic output.

45 minutes ago, soulpope said:

Excellent Latin tinged platter .... btw very nice cover photography ....

The laminated sleeve is in pretty good condition for its age. Sonics remain excellent, apart from side 2 track 1 ‘Brazil’ staying stuck in groove unfortunately. Other than that - amazingly good considering that the vinyl looks as if it had a past life as a frisbee. ;)

5 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

The laminated sleeve is in pretty good condition for its age. Sonics remain excellent, apart from side 2 track 1 ‘Brazil’ staying stuck in groove unfortunately. Other than that - amazingly good considering that the vinyl looks as if it had a past life as a frisbee;)

Being a fetishist how to handle vinyl with dignity your description (almost) hurts ....

18 minutes ago, soulpope said:

Being a fetishist how to handle vinyl with dignity your description (almost) hurts ....

Not so very long ago I bought a very early deep groove pressing of Cannonball Adderley's "Somethin' Else" for the huge investment of 1 EUR from a used record dealer - probably because the party (and maybe frisbee?) past of the vinyl was evident, including something that looks like candle wax and won't shift - though the vinyl does play through and surface noise isn't even overwhelming. And apart from one smudged area even the cover is fairly acceptable.
But imagining what the vinyl must have gone through made me cringe inside too. ;)

Edited by Big Beat Steve

Bud Freeman, Something Tender (United Artists). This was a very happy find at my visit to the Jazz Record Center in NYC a week ago. Bud Freeman playing with two guitarists, George Barnes and Carl Kress. There is no rhythm section. An unusual and beautiful record. 

7 hours ago, sidewinder said:

The laminated sleeve is in pretty good condition for its age. Sonics remain excellent, apart from side 2 track 1 ‘Brazil’ staying stuck in groove unfortunately. Other than that - amazingly good considering that the vinyl looks as if it had a past life as a frisbee. ;)

I once took an LP with a skip into work where I looked at it under a microscope and performed a bit of surgery with an Exacto knife. It now plays with a decent pop, but at least it no longer skips.

Another record I had used to pop and/or skip. I figured if it worked once, maybe it would again. It turned that this record had a chunk of vinyl in the groove. I popped it out and you can barely hear any pop there now.