Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

R-3410054-1489926819-1006.jpeg.jpg

The Beatles - Yesterday and Today (Capitol mono). In the canon, this is an odd US collection of singles and tracks left off the American versions of several British albums. But if there were someone who only had one Beatles album (like me), this is just about perfect - prime 1965-66 Beatles in glorious mono.

Edited by jeffcrom

12 hours ago, jeffcrom said:

Not bad. About what you would expect from a Crown.

This can be a WIDE field. :lol:

The reason I was asking: I recently bought two (cheaply priced) period copies (one for a collector friend) of Crown CST 332 released in c.1963 (Whitey Pullen, here doing mostly country songs, but a "cult" figure among rockabilly collectors) from the special offer Country bin in a local secondhand record store.  Both vinyls look fairly shiny and OK and do not show much visual signs of wear and use, yet the sound - of which we did not expect any miracles - - is rather muffled and low, maybe even more than what I'd expect from a Crown. Figuring this may also have been a case of dirt I cleaned them with alcohol and test-played them at once. Surprisingly the sound of BOTH brightened up distinctly while the surface was still wet but got dull and muffled again when the alcohol had flashed off. As a long-time collector, have you ever noticed anything like this on a Crown? I have come to expect all sorts of things from Crown vinyls such as bubbling spots in the surface and inclusions of foreign matter but have not experienced such a difference of wet/dry fidelity before.

On 1/22/2019 at 1:09 AM, Big Beat Steve said:

How's the pressing of this one? ;)

not bad, they had worse later-- 

On 1/23/2019 at 8:46 PM, jeffcrom said:

R-3410054-1489926819-1006.jpeg.jpg

The Beatles - Yesterday and Today (Capitol mono). In the canon, this is an odd US collection of singles and tracks left off the American versions of several British albums. But if there were someone who only had one Beatles album (like me), this is just about perfect - prime 1965-66 Beatles in glorious mono.

did you check it for butcher cover dawg?

2 hours ago, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

did you check it for butcher cover dawg?

Course I did! No such luck.

R-1073814-1190138359.jpeg.jpg  R-1918246-1492294743-5099.jpeg.jpg

Late night listening:

Arthur Blythe - Blythe Spirit (Columbia). I can't remember the last time I spun this one. I had it in my mind that it was one of Blythe's lesser Columbia's - and it's not the equal of Illusions, but none of the others are - but it's really good.

Johnny Hodges/Earl Hines - Stride Right (Verve)

Edited by jeffcrom

2 hours ago, paul secor said:

R-3440887-1501256839-1670.jpeg.jpg

I love this, and I think when I was very young it helped me to "dig" Ornette Coleman, maybe because it has a more straight ahead swing done by Scott La Faro and Ed Blackwell. So it was easier to get into so called "Free Jazz" than with the other album I also had then "Crisis" , where they avoid straight ahead. Is it possible that "Ornette" is a lesser known or lesser popular Ornette Coleman album, since it´s not so much mentioned in jazz books.

57 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

I love this, and I think when I was very young it helped me to "dig" Ornette Coleman, maybe because it has a more straight ahead swing done by Scott La Faro and Ed Blackwell. So it was easier to get into so called "Free Jazz" than with the other album I also had then "Crisis" , where they avoid straight ahead. Is it possible that "Ornette" is a lesser known or lesser popular Ornette Coleman album, since it´s not so much mentioned in jazz books.

Agreed .... the La Faro/Blackwell factor is of help here ....