• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

11 hours ago, paul secor said:

R-2647144-1381480627-6052.jpeg.jpg

Fantastic ! I think I got to listen to Dolphy from Mingus, and the Berlin Concerts was my first Dolphy album under his own name. I think when I first heard Dolphy he seemed to me a free jazz player but he is not and never was. His lines are the next step after Charlie Parker, I think.

On ‎12‎.‎02‎.‎2019 at 8:11 PM, HutchFan said:

R-1822736-1496588690-4287.jpeg.jpg

Good fun. :) 

oh this one !

I remember well when I purchased it in the late 70´s , I think it´s the logic following of "Giants of Jazz" , having Diz and Stitt together in an allstar Group. This is first rate bebop with some of the most outstanding bop tunes. I think each of the men involved during that time did other projects and played more modern music, but for this special event they all came together to dig back into their roots. But bringing all them together must have costed a fortune.

47 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

oh this one !

I remember well when I purchased it in the late 70´s , I think it´s the logic following of "Giants of Jazz" , having Diz and Stitt together in an allstar Group. This is first rate bebop with some of the most outstanding bop tunes. I think each of the men involved during that time did other projects and played more modern music, but for this special event they all came together to dig back into their roots. But bringing all them together must have costed a fortune.

There’s also that sister album for Sonet under Sonny Stitt’s name. I remember ‘The Bop Session’ - quite a common site in the racks over here.

7 hours ago, sidewinder said:

There’s also that sister album for Sonet under Sonny Stitt’s name. I remember ‘The Bop Session’ - quite a common site in the racks over here.

sidewinder -- are you referring In Walked Sonny, the LP that Stitt made with Art Blakey & the Jazz Messengers?  Or is there another one?

R-2782407-1385054683-3395.jpeg.jpg

On 2/12/2019 at 3:47 PM, HutchFan said:

R-5907146-1405991284-9343.jpeg.jpg

Bill Barron - The Next Plateau (Muse, 1989)

Whats with Georgia, first hank, jimmy carter, then little richard, then the allman bros, then jeffcrom, then YOU.  This lp meets multiple criteria for one i would want to consider getting, its a guy i know its good who i need more stuff of, and its from '89, a big year in record collecting!!!!  did muse even make lps into '90-- thats ballz dawg- i bet 90% of ppl on the board w/ this album have it on CD

IS IT VANGLEDER STAMPED?

oh i see it was cut at a regular studio, prob not rvg'd, i KNOW ive seen period vangelder stamps on somethin or another

5 hours ago, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

Whats with Georgia, first hank, jimmy carter, then little richard, then the allman bros, then jeffcrom, then YOU. 

Don't forget forum member Buddha the Magnificent. He's in Georgia too, down in Savannah. And Ken Dryden is just across the state line, up near Chattanooga.

. . . 

A few slightly more famous Georgians: James Brown (raised in Augusta, GA) and Otis Redding (born in Dawson, GA; raised in Macon, GA). 

Georgia stakes an honorary claim to Ray Charles too -- even tho' he was raised in Florida -- because he was born in Albany. 

All sorts of Georgia connections. ;) 

5 hours ago, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

This lp meets multiple criteria for one i would want to consider getting, its a guy i know its good who i need more stuff of, and its from '89, a big year in record collecting!!!!  did muse even make lps into '90-- thats ballz dawg- i bet 90% of ppl on the board w/ this album have it on CD

IS IT VANGLEDER STAMPED?

oh i see it was cut at a regular studio, prob not rvg'd, i KNOW ive seen period vangelder stamps on somethin or another

I don't know what's in the wax. If you'd like, I can look tonight when I get home from work. :) 

Edited by HutchFan

vinil-med-flory-orchestra-herb-geller-qu

UK Vogue 2LP. Compiles several Med Flory and Herb Geller releases. This ‘West Coast Scene’ series was a good one !

The first side of 4 Jubilee LPs is in this set. According to Alun Morgan’s notes the intention was for another volume collating the second sides. Never happened, by the look of it.

Edited by sidewinder