• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Now spinning:

R-1669978-1490824900-9151.jpeg.jpg

McCoy Tyner - Passion Dance (Milestone, 1979) 
with Ron Carter & Tony Williams

I wish McCoy would've recorded more with Tony.  I think they're supremely well-suited to each other.  Tyner is one of the few pianists/musicians whose drive and power is every bit the equal of Williams'.  But IIRC their only collaborations are Passion Dance, Counterpoints (a companion disc from the same concert), and Supertrios

Am I missing anything?

Edited by HutchFan

R-488761-1318200295.jpeg.jpg

Reading Joachim-Ernst Berendt's liner notes, I came across: "The most fluent of the early jazz clarinet players was not the overrated Sidney Bechet, but Albert Nicholas …." Leaving Albert Nicholas aside, the "overrated" comment about Sidney Bechet is one of the most ignorant things I've ever read (even granting that Bechet's main horn was soprano). I stopped reading the notes at that point.

1 hour ago, paul secor said:

Reading Joachim-Ernst Berendt's liner notes, I came across: "The most fluent of the early jazz clarinet players was not the overrated Sidney Bechet, but Albert Nicholas …." Leaving Albert Nicholas aside, the "overrated" comment about Sidney Bechet is one of the most ignorant things I've ever read (even granting that Bechet's main horn was soprano). I stopped reading the notes at that point.

I have that album, but don't remember that from the notes. That's really horrifyingly dumb.

R-2078067-1440935288-3786.jpeg.jpg

Stan Getz - At Montreux (Polydor). The "Captain Marvel" band live in 1972. I don't believe this has ever been issued in the US, except in video form on a DVD with really awful sound. I bought this record in a little record shop near Lila Torg (Little Square) in Malmö , Sweden.

Clare Fischer————Music inspired by the Kinetic Sculptures of Don  Conard Mobiles————-(CF Records)

Think Sun Ra soloing on a synth and you pretty much get the idea of what’s on offer here. CF Records seems to be a part of Revelation Records judging by the text on the sleeve. This and Great White Hope! offer up a very different side to the adventurous Fischer.

50 minutes ago, Clunky said:

Clare Fischer————Music inspired by the Kinetic Sculptures of Don  Conard Mobiles————-(CF Records)

Think Sun Ra soloing on a synth and you pretty much get the idea of what’s on offer here. CF Records seems to be a part of Revelation Records judging by the text on the sleeve. This and Great White Hope! offer up a very different side to the adventurous Fischer.

That sounds intriguing to say the least.

Good to have you posting again. You've been missed

1 hour ago, Clunky said:

I'd like to hear that. Sounds fascinating. I have most of Fischer's LPs, but not that one.

I would love for Mosaic to produce a set that rounds up Fischer's Revelation recordings. They deserve wider exposure, IMO. . . From a commercial point of view, I suppose such a set wouldn't be viable for Mosaic. But I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

1 hour ago, mjazzg said:

That sounds intriguing to say the least.

Good to have you posting again. You've been missed

Thanks. I picked up a bunch of Fischer sides on Revelation/MPS and Discovery (jazzhouserecords.co.uk) 

Some solo stuff, lots with Gary Foster and his sort of Latin group- Salsa Picante. There’s not a dud amongst them.