Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 11/3/2019 at 1:51 PM, Gheorghe said:

Even if I have known this recordins for more than 4 decades it´s always nice sometime to give them a spinning. Bird at his peak.

Unbenannt.png

I have the box set and I admit I never listen to it because of the endless aternate takes, I rather go for the cd of the master takes.

10 hours ago, porcy62 said:

I have the box set and I admit I never listen to it because of the endless aternate takes, I rather go for the cd of the master takes.

Yes, too many alternate takes is annoying.

I have the japanese CDs of Wardell Gray Vol. I and II (Prestige) and don´t listen anymore to Vol. I because of the dozens of alternate takes.

9 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Yes, too many alternate takes is annoying.

I have the japanese CDs of Wardell Gray Vol. I and II (Prestige) and don´t listen anymore to Vol. I because of the dozens of alternate takes.

That is the reason I sold and I am selling most of the CD box sets "The Complete recording of", overall I have quite happy life without 4 alternate takes of Romance Without Finance

I really love this one. A fantastic reunion with those genial musicians Milt Jackson and James Moody, who had been associated with Diz in the 40´s. And the set repertoire is beautiful. Manteca a tune I love, Con Alma with  an interesting "new" arrangement and a trendy backbeat. And not to forget the features for Mr. Jackson and Mr. Moody (SKJ and Body and Soul). I´d like to mention also "Brother K." which is underrated but should be considered one of Dizzy´s greatest compositions along with let´s say Con Alma etc. ......

I remember Diz also did play it in Viena the year before.

The rhythm section is superb. Ed Cherry has been Dizzys favourite guitar player and he seems to have some Wes Montgomery roots. Saw him on several occasions with Diz, and even after Diz death in a Dizzy Alumni band. Mike Howell is a fantastic fender-bassist, he also has played for a long time with Diz, same with the very fine drummer Georges Hughes. One or two years later I saw Diz with Ed Cherry and Mike Howell, but then he had replaced the drummer with one from his generation, J.C. Heard, a very interesting choice.

Dizzy remains one of my favourites. I love his trumpet, his compositions which I play as much as possible.....

Unbenannt.png

Rendell/ Carr——-Dusk Fire——-(Jazzman)

Strange but true this music is entirely new to me. It’s been on the list for years but I’d not pulled the trigger until now. All five Jazzman reissues landed today ( sans box) . Very impressed by the music and the presentation. Lovely quiet vinyl.