• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have this since it came out in 1977. I remember first time it was quite hard listening for me then, and I was annoyed by the talking of the MC over the music, but soon after that I really appreciated it. Miles is almost as fast as Fats Navarro here, James Moody has some very interesting phrases that sound almost like those typical of the 60´s avantgarde, and it´s a rare occasion to hear Tadd Dameron doing really great solos, and we have the great Kenny Clark. And to mention the very good french bass player Barney Spieler.

Unbenannt.png

57 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

I have this since it came out in 1977. I remember first time it was quite hard listening for me then, and I was annoyed by the talking of the MC over the music, but soon after that I really appreciated it. Miles is almost as fast as Fats Navarro here, James Moody has some very interesting phrases that sound almost like those typical of the 60´s avantgarde, and it´s a rare occasion to hear Tadd Dameron doing really great solos, and we have the great Kenny Clark. And to mention the very good french bass player Barney Spieler.

Unbenannt.png

3 x 35280248vg.gif!!!

5 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Unbenannt.png

Moody's playing jumped out at me too.

On 3/14/2019 at 2:34 AM, Gheorghe said:

I really love this one. A fantastic reunion with those genial musicians Milt Jackson and James Moody, who had been associated with Diz in the 40´s. And the set repertoire is beautiful. Manteca a tune I love, Con Alma with  an interesting "new" arrangement and a trendy backbeat. And not to forget the features for Mr. Jackson and Mr. Moody (SKJ and Body and Soul). I´d like to mention also "Brother K." which is underrated but should be considered one of Dizzy´s greatest compositions along with let´s say Con Alma etc. ......

I remember Diz also did play it in Viena the year before.

The rhythm section is superb. Ed Cherry has been Dizzys favourite guitar player and he seems to have some Wes Montgomery roots. Saw him on several occasions with Diz, and even after Diz death in a Dizzy Alumni band. Mike Howell is a fantastic fender-bassist, he also has played for a long time with Diz, same with the very fine drummer Georges Hughes. One or two years later I saw Diz with Ed Cherry and Mike Howell, but then he had replaced the drummer with one from his generation, J.C. Heard, a very interesting choice.

Dizzy remains one of my favourites. I love his trumpet, his compositions which I play as much as possible.....

Unbenannt.png

I feel just the same.  Hooray for Diz!  :tup :tup :tup 

59 minutes ago, clifford_thornton said:

yeah, excellent one.

Yep, very pleased with it. Just ordered a copy of 'Orlando' to keep it company.

What other Dulfer do you recommend (I have 'Maine' on the way too)? I'm thinking of getting Loevendie's 'Stairs!' next but this price is a bit hot and I have a dl of it already.

21 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Yep, very pleased with it. Just ordered a copy of 'Orlando' to keep it company.

What other Dulfer do you recommend (I have 'Maine' on the way too)? I'm thinking of getting Loevendie's 'Stairs!' next but this price is a bit hot and I have a dl of it already.

I'm not c_t, but I think you'll enjoy Maine. I have, over the years.

26 minutes ago, clifford_thornton said:

I would say everything of Dulfer's up to and including Maine is great, but the early ones are expensive.

Loevendie, it's all awesome. Stairs! is rad, sort of like Giuffre collided with Marion Brown's Porto Novo. 

Thanks Clifford

1 hour ago, corto maltese said:

If you do CD's too, you can go for the "The Formative Years '69-'96" boxset, which includes all the early and expensive albums (Jazz in Paradiso, El Saxophon...).

R-6557889-1448297731-1551.jpeg.jpg

It's usually cheap, the sound is very decent and you'll also get a nice booklet with Dulfer's reminiscences of the early days, which are often quite funny.

That's great. Thanks very much.Just found it to sample on Spotify 

Edited by mjazzg

R-561967-1260678972.jpeg.jpg  R-7432331-1467813352-6737.jpeg.jpg

Gunter Hampel / Galaxie Dream Band - All is Real (Birth)

Sam Musiker - Jewish Wedding Dances (Tikva). Musiker (what a great name for a klezmer) was a big-band veteran (Gene Krupa, for one) who became the son-in-law of his clarinet idol, the great Russian-born klezmer clarinetist Dave Tarras.

19 hours ago, mjazzg said:

There really isn't anything like El Saxofon. The others are amazing too, but man, El Saxofon...

Also this looks like my kinda thing; anyone have a copy?

https://www.discogs.com/Ritmo-Natural-Ritmo-Natural/release/11101836

44 minutes ago, Niko said:

had that Loevendie/Dulfer in my hand today and skipped.. hmmm.... one that I did buy is now playing...

R-5254678-1388858453-7037.jpeg.jpg

Good find. Not one that I can recall ever seeing in that version.

On 15/03/2019 at 8:24 PM, mjazzg said:

Never knew of that one and will check it out too !

My personal highlight in that transaction was answering the seller's question about who McKusick was entirely in Dutch... next up is another of today's acquisitions, a Dutch organ record from the 80s with Herbert Noord playing organ and Paul Weeden on guitar...

R-12113135-1528568635-4449.jpeg.jpg

2 hours ago, Niko said:

had that Loevendie/Dulfer in my hand today and skipped.. hmmm.... one that I did buy is now playing...

It's quite free, so depending on your tolerance for intense stuff of that ilk, it may have been either a wise or unwise move.

Herbert Noord is really good, too, and I've much enjoyed the few records I have him on.