What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

guess it'll come home with me the next time I see it at that price nevertheless... what I can say though is that the Beaver Harris album with steel drums and Andrew White is my type of free jazz album ;) ... the tenor playing by White is simply world class and the steel drums add exactly the amount of color I tend to miss in tenor/bass/drums bands

R-4964054-1514806965-5728.jpeg.jpg

Russell Garcia - I lead a charmed life

in contrast, this album here could not quite live up to the promise of Mike Wofford on Fender Rhodes and Teddy Edwards on Tenor.... I do like how the cover photograph suggests that Garcia is playing saxophone on the album... but then you look once more and realize it's really just a necklace

• Replies 55.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

R-9133722-1475350717-1646.jpeg.jpg

Kid Thomas Valentine - Kid Thomas and his Algiers Stompers (GHB). Kid Thomas's raw trumpet style is an acquired taste, and as a young man I never really liked it until I started listening to Lester Bowie, in whose playing I found the same kinds of shakes and distorted sounds. Valentine always preferred a saxophone rather than a clarinet in the front line, and his longtime partner Emanuel Paul is at his idiosyncratic best here on tenor. Thomas picked the tunes, and they represent the kind of repertoire he played for dancers - pop songs and ballads as well as New Orleans jazz standards. I'm really enjoying this 1965 record tonight - it represents Valentine's ideas, rather than a producer's.

Edited by jeffcrom

20 hours ago, mjazzg said:

R-4889402-1533030824-6479.jpeg.jpg

Larry Young - Into Something! [Blue Note/Music Matters, 45rpm]

one of my all time favourite album covers. The music's pretty special too.

Of course ! And for my greatest delight with the participation of Sam Rivers !

But as for Larry´s organ and Elvin Jones´ drumming I prefer even more "Unity" . It´s my first choice of Larry Young.

David Wertman————Kara Suite——-(Mustevic Sound) 

pulled this one randomly off the shelves for the first time in a while. Plenty of energy in this free jazz blow out. Charles Tyler and Ken Simon battle it out on the saxes. Drum, bass and a french horn make up the group. Recording is pretty dark to muddy but the music is clear enough.