• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't think the Levitt "42nd Street" has ever been issued on CD.  And the other two albums he did for them has been handled in a piece-meal fashion by RCA, though some of it came out on a Spanish bootleg if I recall.  The Riverside Levitt was handled properly...

I've always thought they were terrific releases:  good writing, good playing.

One of my alltime favourites as soon as it came out in the late 70´s on CBS. That was the time, when I discoverd "Bird" due to my first few albums of Miles and Mingus, where Bird as influence and mentor was mentioned. After my first purchase (Savoy Master Takes) this one was my second purchase but at first listening I was kind of shocked and puzzeld by the "terrible sound quality". On this , the treble was so up it had an outright piercing sound. I had to pull up the bass level and completly down the treble and still it sounded "shrill". But after a few starts I noticed the high quality of that exiting live music. It was the first time I heard about Fats and Bud and fell in love with Blakey´s powerful drumming.

I can´t listen to this every day, but sometimes I pick it just for the memory of those days when I was thrilled by all that powerful music though badly recorded, and I remember I loved Dan Morgensterns most interesting liner notes so that I could "imagine" how Birdland was in 1950.....

Unbenannt.png

R-7612260-1497029663-9262.jpeg.jpg

Rampart Street Paraders - Rampart and Vine

R-4191132-1420652447-5133.jpeg.jpg

Chu Berry and his Stompy Stevedores - CHU

brought home on my way from work and they're both gorgeous, Eddie Miller on the first one I had never really heard up to now, I really like the covers, too... judging by their catalogue numbers (7080 and 7084) these two must have hit the market around the same time in 1955 but there's no indication that they're from the same collection... 

126_2.jpg

Wonderful sounding limited ed. Debut reissue

29 minutes ago, Niko said:

so happy with these Philips covers!! Best thing is that I just discovered that the Philips Museum (which is not far from here) has a "Vinyl!!" exhibition until mid-July...

Wonder if they do some of the UK Philips and Fontana sleeves?

59 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Wonder if they do some of the UK Philips and Fontana sleeves?

Apparently there will be Marte Röling Covers in the exhibition... (did she do anything beyond that amazing Fontana series?)  ... will report back!

2 hours ago, Niko said:

Apparently there will be Marte Röling Covers in the exhibition... (did she do anything beyond that amazing Fontana series?)  ... will report back!

Indeed! In addition to graphic design she is also a rather well-known "pop" painter, sculptor, and creator of public art installations. Have read a few interviews with her; I'll try to dig them up.