• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A very nice record and some of the tunes from "My Fair Lady", "Paint my wagon" and so on cannot be heard often by a jazz combo. Great line of the 57 edition of the Messengers with Griff and Bill Hardman.

I bought this RCA "Black and White" Series in spring 1978 and still have it in good shape. A beautiful thing.

Once I met Bill Hardman and told him that the first time I heard his trumpet was on this "Messengers play Lerner and Lowe" and he said "yeah, I remember that date" .

index.jpg

1 hour ago, Gheorghe said:

A very nice record and some of the tunes from "My Fair Lady", "Paint my wagon" and so on cannot be heard often by a jazz combo. Great line of the 57 edition of the Messengers with Griff and Bill Hardman.

I bought this RCA "Black and White" Series in spring 1978 and still have it in good shape. A beautiful thing.

Once I met Bill Hardman and told him that the first time I heard his trumpet was on this "Messengers play Lerner and Lowe" and he said "yeah, I remember that date" .

index.jpg

A favourite of mine.

5 hours ago, JohnS said:

A favourite of mine.

Like an idiot it was the mention of ‘Brigadoon’ that put me off that one. Guess I had images of Andy Stewart Hogmanay singalongs with Blakey on drums :D. I think the Jazz press reviews were a bit lukewarm as well. Anyway, my loss..

Edited by sidewinder

8 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

This must be interesting. I saw Joe Newman on several occasions, and Eddie Chamblee once. Hamp one time in 1983.

Yes, it's a solid LP. :tup

I'm jealous that you got to see Joe Newman perform live. He's one of my all-time favorite trumpeters -- and I never had that opportunity. ;) 

1 hour ago, HutchFan said:

Yes, it's a solid LP. :tup

I'm jealous that you got to see Joe Newman perform live. He's one of my all-time favorite trumpeters -- and I never had that opportunity. ;) 

But at least here in Vienna he had that kind of reputation......, you know he was always booked as a single with a local rhythm section but he always had that kind of lecturing the band on stage, much to the embarresment of the solid guys who played with him who had played with a lot of others too. I say, you can check them out on rehearsal and tell them how you want a certain tune, but not on stage ! I don´t know what he wanted, everything sounded fine, but I think you don´t necesarly have to lecture musicians for playing "Bye Bye Blackbird".

I´d say he has a fine sound and was really a 100% trumpet player.

On 7.4.2019 at 3:54 PM, sidewinder said:

Like an idiot it was the mention of ‘Brigadoon’ that put me off that one. Guess I had images of Andy Stewart Hogmanay singalongs with Blakey on drums :D. I think the Jazz press reviews were a bit lukewarm as well. Anyway, my loss..

2 1/2 stars from Down Beat. Quote (by Leonard Feather, FWIW hereabouts ^_^); "... this was potentially a four-star album, except for the material, which fits like the first suit you pick off the pipe rack. On the other hand, commercially speaking, i know Vik's Bob Rolontz was wise to use this gimmick, for it should certainly help the Messengers towards a healthy sale."

A classic, and I bought it also 1978 (those "That´s Jazz" series was easy to purchase and a good way to start a collection for a youngster like me ) when I was heavily into all that "New Stuff", discovering the music of Ornette Coleman and other avantgarde pioneers.

This one is particularly intersting, since Trane has worked with other free jazz musicians like Pharoah Sanders, but this one with Don is especially welcome. The even play some Ornette compositions, so Ornette was omnipresent then. And "Bemsha Swing" was a favourite of Don Cherry.

imagesO8OU0ZWK.jpg