What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

1 hour ago, sidewinder said:

BK%2B1%2BFront.jpg

UK Columbia, Factory Sample

To be reissued by Trunk at Record Store Day tomorrow, with different sleeve apparently.

Looking forward to Mr T's reissue

44 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

291987613491.jpg

NY USA mono

Very nice indeed. I was looking at the cost of this only yesterday wondering if I could justify it in order to replace a 70s pressing. I couldn't...

• Replies 55.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

25 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Very nice indeed. I was looking at the cost of this only yesterday wondering if I could justify it in order to replace a 70s pressing. I couldn't...

Effectively, this will be the first general issue of the Kirchin. The Columbia original issue, I believe, only got a very limited release and was pulled off the market before anyone was aware of it, hence the scarcity. I will most likely pick up a copy of the Trunk for the new notes and to provide a nice ‘play’ copy. 

25 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Never seen a cheap copy of this one but I did once pick up a mono ‘Evolution’ for $10. Alas, those days are long gone. :(

Edited by sidewinder

Actually this, together with the more studiolike produced "Canyon Lady" were my first Henderson LPs. I became a big Henderson Fan after I first saw him on television (a quartet concert from I thin San Francisco 1977) and that it was: I hurried to the next record dealer and purchased what was availabel.

And imagine: I was sooooo lucky: The same year in autum (1978) Henderson having a quarted with the superb Joanne Brackeen came in town so I heard him life for the first time. Wonderful memories.

index.jpg

oThe Bill Evans is an absolute corker !

This 1969 Evans performance was recorded by stealth with a microphone in front of the stage and a recorder stowed under the table cloth of one of the front centre tables. Bearing that in mind, the sonics are astonishing and are very atmospheric in capturing the ambience of Bill Evans at Scotts. I am reminded of the 1980 gigs when I caught an evening from either that very table or one very near it and was transported back, even though this is a very different trio.

The Wes is not in the highest fi but sounds is very acceptable and it’s a fascinating insight into his home town playing right on the cusp of his wider acclaim. Wes of course is Wes i.e. wonderful. Generous amount of music over the 4 sides too. The organ group on side B particularly nice.

Both of the Resonances are recommended.

Edited by sidewinder

It´s Messenger´s time ! I heard the Messengers live on several times and at least the frontline was the same on both occasions.

1) With Valery Ponomarev, Bobby Watson and James Williams on one occasion
2) With Donald Harrison Terence Blanchard on another later occasion.

index 1.jpg

index.jpg

My series of spinning those whom I saw life during the years, continues:

Here ´s Horace Parlan, on this occasion with great danish bass spieler ;) Jesper Lundgaard and the fantastic Dannie Richmond (together with Al Foster maybe my favourite drummer) .

I saw him live about the same time, and it´s interesting here we have a ballad written by swiss bassist Isla Eckinger, and when I saw him, he played with Isla. And the tunes were about the same like on this record. "Duke Ellington´s Sound of Love" was a favourite of Horace Parlan.

Unbenannt.png

6 hours ago, jlhoots said:

Nice album in spite of the "wife beater" t-shirt.

Remember buying that one in one of our high street newsagents (big name) for 50p back in the day as a cutout. A whole load of Atlantic, Stax etc. offloaded from the US. Maybe used as trade ship ballast? In any event - good stuff.