• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yesterday:

R-1351098-1432670943-2525.jpeg.jpg

Chico Hamilton - The Head Hunters (Solid State, 1969)
with Steve Potts (as); Russ Andrews (ts); Ray Nance (vn); Eric Gale (g); Jan Arnet (b)

No, not those Head Hunters! ;) 

Stumbled across this LP recently in a local shop.  I had no idea that Steve Potts was with Chico before he began his long association with Steve Lacy.  ... And Ray Nance is in there too -- using an electric pick-up, which gives him a very different sound.

Good stuff!

Edited by HutchFan

Really clean vinyl, too. I think I hit this Half-Price location at the right time, plenty of good classical LPs of this vintage in there, all very-well cared for at really cheap prices. Seems like somebody's parents or grandparents died, survivor's loss, my gain. That'll come full-circle at some point, but until it does, hey, it's nice to experience this music in this way

To wit:

s-l300.jpg

Comes complete with a Dover Records inner sleeve that gives little conversational blurbs about each record, a nice touch. Guess they sold them for $2.00 each. If so, HP screwed me, then, I paid $2.00 for it myself. Vinyl is not consistently clean, but the shit jsut ROARS off the record, amazingly live and vivid quality. I have visions of some urban-suburban "longhair" type playing this rec ord on one of the bigass console hi-fi systems, just cranking it up, and scaring the hell out of everybody in the house and outside of it. But it's not scary music unless you get scared by it. I embrace it's roar myself.

I'm wondering if it's a US release of this:

My LP is a LOT less noisy than is this 78.

On ‎20‎.‎04‎.‎2019 at 5:24 PM, JSngry said:

R-12063472-1527547021-6569.jpeg.jpg

It might be a fun exercise to put together a record's worth of nothing but Erroll Garner introductions and then release them as "modern classical piano compositions". There's enough tells for a really keen-eared listener to eventually catch on, but there's more than enough to throw most people off. I mean, even with the knowledge of knowing what record is playing on my turntable, I still have these moments of doubt about maybe they fucked up at the record label and put a wrong track on there. :g

Nice shirt, btw. French cuffs still look good to me.

Too bad I didn´t purchase this when it was easy available in all record shops. Would have liked to hear how Errol sounds with Brass. During the 70´s Errol Garner was quite en vogue here in Vienna, especially among middle aged people who otherwise didn´t listen much to jazz. They might have some classical and one or two Errol´s, but no Trane, Mingus or Ornette, not even Miles or Bird. So when I came in visit somewhere and would browse through the them their records the only stuff I would listen too was Erroll, maybe out of necessity. But I always have liked him. I think even the most critical Miles who dissed almost everybody had some nice words about Erroll.

Nice shirt indeed, and believe it or not, but my first pair of cuffs was also those frensh cuffs and I still have them and wear them ocasionally.

11 hours ago, JSngry said:

Really clean vinyl, too. I think I hit this Half-Price location at the right time, plenty of good classical LPs of this vintage in there, all very-well cared for at really cheap prices. Seems like somebody's parents or grandparents died, survivor's loss, my gain. That'll come full-circle at some point, but until it does, hey, it's nice to experience this music in this way

To wit:

s-l300.jpg

Comes complete with a Dover Records inner sleeve that gives little conversational blurbs about each record, a nice touch. Guess they sold them for $2.00 each. If so, HP screwed me, then, I paid $2.00 for it myself. Vinyl is not consistently clean, but the shit jsut ROARS off the record, amazingly live and vivid quality. I have visions of some urban-suburban "longhair" type playing this rec ord on one of the bigass console hi-fi systems, just cranking it up, and scaring the hell out of everybody in the house and outside of it. But it's not scary music unless you get scared by it. I embrace it's roar myself.

I'm wondering if it's a US release of this:

My LP is a LOT less noisy than is this 78.

I´m not so much into non jazz music but since I had learned some hungarian when I was younger, I had to read what´s written on the record and it says it is in the memory of Bartók for the 5th anniversary  after his death. Hungarian Radio record from 1950.

The strange thing I heard something that sounds a bit like Bartók to me I found on Graham Moncur´s "Some Other Stuff" on the tune "Twins". It reminds me of some transsilvanian folk music I heard much in my youth. The kind of stuff you heard on weddings, and the kind of stuff that I think had influenced Belá Bartók´s writing.

Edited by Gheorghe

The Garner record is not all with brass backing, that's a little deceptive. Maybe on half of the cuts at most. They're arranged by Don Sebesky, have a totally modern sound, and contribute nothing to the overall proceedings. Nor do they detract from them. They're just there. It's Erroll's show all the way.

I have a CD of a collection of (some of?) Bartok's actual field recordings. That's something to hear!

9 hours ago, JSngry said:

The Garner record is not all with brass backing, that's a little deceptive. Maybe on half of the cuts at most. They're arranged by Don Sebesky, have a totally modern sound, and contribute nothing to the overall proceedings. Nor do they detract from them. They're just there. It's Erroll's show all the way.

I'm pretty sure of my guess that Erroll went into a studio, in an hour or two knocked off an album's worth of music with the trio and went home.  The producer asked Sebesky to add a "Brass Bed" that Erroll knew nothing about and never slept in...

7 hours ago, Ted O'Reilly said:

I'm pretty sure of my guess that Erroll went into a studio, in an hour or two knocked off an album's worth of music with the trio and went home.  The producer asked Sebesky to add a "Brass Bed" that Erroll knew nothing about and never slept in...

Oh, if that´s the case, I think I might not regret so much that I haven´t purchased that album. I had thought it might be a really encounter with hornplayers. Anyway, I think the most spinning Errol gets from me ist the "Cool Blues" session date, the tracks with Bird and Earl Coleman. Actually, did Erroll play with other hornplayers or vocalists on other occasions, I mean other settings that trio ?

15 minutes ago, jlhoots said:

? procrastinated

Now I could say something evasive but no, thanks for the correction.

Back to school for me...brain addled by too much Free Jazz, perhaps?

Meanwhile...

R-1120479-1353167052-8154.jpeg.jpg

Art Ensemble Of Chicago - Kabalaba [AEOC Records]

Edited by mjazzg

R-13495528-1555273471-9191.jpeg.jpg

Return to Analog reissue. Very much a Guy Warren LP with the Rendell/Carr group and Amancio D’Silva along for the ride. Nice sonics - I’ll be surprised if the original Columbia sounded any better. A big :tup.

The only negative is that they didn’t duplicate the original Columbia rear sleeve as in the Jazzman releases. Minor complaint though, considering the price and quality of pressing.

Incidentally, nothing like Rendell/Carr. More like Brotherhood of Breath. Don Rendell quite ‘off piste’. 

Edited by sidewinder

21 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

How is that?

Very nice. It was their planned second LP after the first one’s 99 copies and only got as far as the Test Pressing stage before Tony Pike Music went bust. Well up to the standard of the first LP, not dis-similar to what Rendell/Carr were doing at the time although a bit more straight-ahead and ‘Horace Silverish’.  :tup

This first commercial issue is taken from a pristine test pressing and sounds AOK.

Edited by sidewinder