What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

2 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Very nice. It was their planned second LP after the first one’s 99 copies and only got as far as the Test Pressing stage before Tony Pike Music went bust. Well up to the standard of the first LP, not dis-similar to what Rendell/Carr were doing at the time.  :tup

This first commercial issue is taken from a pristine test pressing and sounds AOK.

Thanks, duly noted and entered on the ever expanding list

• Replies 55.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

R-10086477-1491360420-9592.jpeg.jpg

Who is this "The Austrian String Quartet" anyway? They have a timbre that is as evocative as their pitch is, uh...equally evocative? Was this a real band? I only see them on Vox/Turnabout, and even then on just a very few records, none of which talk about the band at all. Like, ZERO.

Either way, I like this record a lot, comparing this to the Emerson version is quite the immediate contrast. I'd just like to know if the pitch is interpretive or simply casual. Either way, it's attention-getting!

On ‎12‎.‎04‎.‎2019 at 5:34 PM, clifford_thornton said:

Wow.

I never had the chance to see Mr. Henderson perform in person, but love hearing him on record.

I saw him live at least in 1978 and 1979. The 1978 was a whole concert (with JoAnne Brackeen on piano !), the second was a festival schedule. I missed a third date that would have been with Tete Montoliu, but I had flu and couldn´t go and see them.

1 hour ago, JohnS said:

I remember seeing these guys live at the Green Man, Blackheath (south London).  The good old days.

Now a block of flats at the top end of Blackheath, apparently !

Like the first Bird/Curtis LP, this one is definitely a ‘find’ from my perspective. I wonder if Ray Shea has any more test pressings in his attic? (highly unlikely).

Incidentally, it would appear that the New Jazz Orchestra was a spin-off from the house band at this venue (when it had John Mumford in the front line with Ian Bird).

9 hours ago, JSngry said:

Who is this "The Austrian String Quartet" anyway? They have a timbre that is as evocative as their pitch is, uh...equally evocative? Was this a real band? I only see them on Vox/Turnabout, and even then on just a very few records, none of which talk about the band at all. Like, ZERO.

I believe they were part of the "Wiener Solisten", a loose ensemble founded in the early 60's

11 hours ago, JSngry said:

Either way, I like this record a lot, comparing this to the Emerson version is quite the immediate contrast. I'd just like to know if the pitch is interpretive or simply casual. Either way, it's attention-getting!

2 hours ago, soulpope said:

I believe they were part of the "Wiener Solisten", a loose ensemble founded in the early 60's

Yes, they were.

I remember reading about this very recording on another (German?) music forum, where a member also wondered about the identity of the performers. The Austrian SQ (or rather Österreichische Streichquartett) was founded by Paul Roczek, who became professor of violin at the Salzburger Mozarteum. The other (original) members were Peter Katt (violin), Jürgen Geise (viola), and Wilfred Tachezi (cello), all of them also associated with the Mozarteum.

Even in an extremely competitive field, their performance of the Janacek quartets is very worthwhile.

Ok, this is all good to learn. Now I know that the "quirks" I hear are part of the intent. It makes a difference knowing that, because, yes, very striking performances, a worthy addition to anybody's Janacek exploration.

Thanks to everybody for sharing their knowledge!

On 4/12/2019 at 2:33 PM, sidewinder said:

BK%2B1%2BFront.jpg

UK Columbia, Factory Sample

To be reissued by Trunk at Record Store Day tomorrow, with different sleeve apparently.

On 4/12/2019 at 4:30 PM, clifford_thornton said:

cool, I suppose that means you'll be offloading the original. I'll get right in line. :D

Clifford, if you cannot convince sidewinder to part with his original: Discogs has another "factory sample" copy for sale.

At 4,400 euro and with the dollar still rising, it's a steal.:g

On 4/22/2019 at 3:24 PM, mjazzg said:

R-13135053-1548674670-1007.jpeg.jpg

Derek Bailey/Tony Coe - Time [Honest Jons]

excellent reissue adding a new session. Great improvisations, lean and lovely music-making

Honest Jon's really deserves the highest praise for their Derek Bailey reissues. Incredible value for money.

R-13489395-1555173709-4156.jpeg.jpg

Marshall Allen ao - Ceremonial Healing [RareNoise]

initial impressions suggest this is another winner from this label

2 hours ago, corto maltese said:

Honest Jon's really deserves the highest praise for their Derek Bailey reissues. Incredible value for money.

I agree, a very impressive reissue. On the back of this I'll definitely be investigating some others, starting with the Cyro Baptista I think

3 hours ago, corto maltese said:

Clifford, if you cannot convince sidewinder to part with his original: Discogs has another "factory sample" copy for sale.

Yeah, I made an offer to someone with a deadstock unplayed copy for pretty much NYC rent money and was turned down. Probably for the best, but man...

22 minutes ago, clifford_thornton said:

Yeah, I made an offer to someone with a deadstock unplayed copy for pretty much NYC rent money and was turned down. Probably for the best, but man...

I happen to have a spare copy (very decent VG+), but am not looking for money. I greatly prefer trades.

@ sidewinder: how does the Trunk reissue compare to the original? And do they explain why they didn't use the original cover?

I’ll take 3 then..:unsure:

1 hour ago, corto maltese said:

@ sidewinder: how does the Trunk reissue compare to the original? And do they explain why they didn't use the original cover?

I’ve just given them a spin-through on side 1. The Trunk compares pretty well but I would say that the Columbia is most definitely more focussed, dynamic and with a better sound-stage (or maybe it is me :g). More ‘presence’. I guess that it is possible that this could be the effects of magnetic tape dispersion over 50 years? In any event, Trunk have done a great job.

I believe that the reason that the original cover wasn’t used for the reissue is that Basil didn’t like it. Personally I prefer the original but I also really like the Trunk gatefold. I hope they put that Basil K. voice publicity tape on line.

2 hours ago, mjazzg said:

HJ take most of my salary as it is!

That place is like a black hole for stray dosh..

Incidentally, it is interesting that Basil K. felt that the first version of ‘Worlds’ didn’t fully represent his vision and that Trunk’s later ‘Quantum’ was nearer the mark. Personally, I think of ‘Worlds’ 1/2 as being pretty ground-breaking.

Edited by sidewinder

Yes! hadn't visited the jazz 45s corner of our local store in quite a while and brought back 11 new 45s... so far, the Edmond Hall one is the best... 

I also got one lp which is pretty wonderful, also featuring Hall on one side, Jam Session Coast to Coast...

R-5516823-1399380105-5795.jpeg.jpg

Edited by Niko

3 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Incidentally, it is interesting that Basil K. felt that the first version of ‘Worlds’ didn’t fully represent his vision and that Trunk’s later ‘Quantum’ was nearer the mark. Personally, I think of ‘Worlds’ 1/2 as being pretty ground-breaking.

Quantum is awesome, though. I have rips of both Worlds and they are indeed excellent. Had the Island on LP at one point but it was not in the greatest condition...