• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

s767488021294006917_p1867_i1_w640.jpeg

Dutch Phillips. I think I'd go see this performed live, if ever it was.

Philips LPs imported from Europe usually sound sooooooo good. 

And that music looks interesting too. I'm not too familiar with Penderecki. I have his Violin Concerto with Stern, Skrowaczewski, and the Minnesota O -- but I think that's it.

Edited by HutchFan

29 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Philips LPs imported from Europe usually sound sooooooo good. 

And that music looks interesting too. I'm not too familiar with Penderecki. I have his Violin Concerto with Stern, Skrowaczewski, and the Minnesota O -- but I think that's it.

Well, this copy appears to have been played a lot...but it still sounds good overall.

The music (St. Luke's Passion is the basic English title) is interesting, a lot of choral work that is densely textured and quiet in dynamics...very "pulls you in", at least for me.

I don't know a WHOLE lot of Penderecki. I became aware of his in college, when the chairman of the Composition department was a big advocate/booster.I do know that at some point he became a lot more "traditional" for wome/whatever reason. I find this period of his work to be not particularly compelling, but I'm not exactly an "informed listener" either. Some day, maybe?

This was the "big" piece back in the day, apparently, the one that when you said his name, this is what came to mind.

Thanks Jim. Will give that a listen. :tup 

I've been listening to trombonist Al Grey -- both as a co-leader and sideman:

R-2530707-1336067580.jpeg.jpg

Al Grey / Jimmy Forrest Quintet - Live at Rick's (Aviva)
Grey and Forrest are a powerful duo, and there's NOTHING stale about this music. Plus, Shirley Scott on the piano.

71m1YdG%2BdWL._SX455_.jpg

Jimmy McGriff - Blues to the Bone (Milestone)
IMO, when it comes to soul-jazz, Bob Porter's name on the Producer's credits is like the "Good Housekeeping" Seal of Approval.

Edited by HutchFan

7 minutes ago, Clunky said:

Manfred Schoof———-Distant Thunder———(ENJA)

incendiary playing with Japanese noise merchants including Akira Sakata on the alto sax. 

Certainly a lively one for a Sunday morning.

Another of Sakata's own leader dates on Enja, 'Clay', features the same trio minus Schoof. Well worth hunting out if you don't already know it.

R-1256321-1337356259-8486.jpeg.jpg

That band is not to be confused with this one:

R-1074357-1191711881.jpeg.jpg

anyway...I get interested in DG LPs that were never issued in America, it's like the stuff on the menu at certain Chinese restaurants where it's in Chinese-only and when you ask what it means, they just say "not for you", not in a mean way, just...not for you.

But this IS for me, this Amati-Berlin Ensemble, that shit be ROARIN'. and it's another one of those records that makes me realize how much of my life I've wasted by not diving all in to Bartok when I still had enough time in front of me to do something with it other than just marvel. Can't say nobody told me, but, you know, other things got in what could have been that space and generally, no regrets. But Bartok, now, yes, big regrets. But - onward!

Any way, fine record!

On 5/4/2019 at 9:48 AM, Kevin Bresnahan said:

Now playing: Chuck Wayne - Morning Mist (Prestige) - original VAN GELDER blue label pressing. Wayne on guitar with Joe Williams on bass and Ronny Bedford on drums.

Related image

On my copy, the cover wrap is shifted upwards and the "STEREO STEREO STEREO STEREO STEREO" banner is wrapped over the top of the back of the jacket. :)

Is it mono? That's what they did later on with a lot of mono records.

fwiw, that record did get a mono release: https://www.discogs.com/Chuck-Wayne-Morning-Mist/release/8255650

11 hours ago, JSngry said:

Is it mono? That's what they did later on with a lot of mono records.

fwiw, that record did get a mono release: https://www.discogs.com/Chuck-Wayne-Morning-Mist/release/8255650

I'll have to spin it again to see. I didn't notice the first time as I sit pretty much dead center in front of the speakers so mono/stereo can get lost a bit.

Check the label. If it doesn't say STEREO under the trident, it's probably mono. And of course, the PR vs. PRST prefix. But jackets themselves can occasionally get cronky about that, they used what they had sometimes, and it didn't always line up. Not often, but once in a while.

R-2636136-1338059012-7790.jpeg.jpg

R-8255650-1540544816-2082.jpeg.jpg