What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

11 hours ago, JSngry said:

Supposedly there's gonna be Earle Spencer material on Mosaic upcoming Black & White set?

The entire lp is from Black & White.  There was a time in the earliest days of compact discs when Pickwick was putting out interesting compilations of B & W titles.

• Replies 55.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

20 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

R-3397433-1552082442-1975.jpeg.jpg

Joe Harriott Quintet - Swings High [Cadillac]

Sounds like it was recorded in Dobell’s toilets but essential stuff ! For some reason, the Melodisc LP was held back for several years, although recorded in 1967 I believe.

In that ‘Jazz 625’ tribute programme on BBC the other week Gilles Peterson was handling a copy of this very LP, although he didn’t get chance to say anything about it !

Edited by sidewinder

23 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Sounds like it was recorded in Dobell’s toilets but essential stuff ! For some reason, the Melodisc LP was held back for several years, although recorded in 1967 I believe.

In that ‘Jazz 625’ tribute programme on BBC the other week Gilles Peterson was handling a copy of this very LP, although he didn’t get chance to say anything about it !

Yes, I was going to note something about the power of the music overcoming the 'limited' sound quality...

I blame GP for the purchase of this, wine in hand watching Jazz 625 thinking "why haven't I got that Harriott LP?". The joy of internet shopping, with wine :excited:

I’d love to know exactly where that Harriott Melodisc LP was recorded. Reportedly it was set up by and sold at Dobell’s but according to the Harriott bio, I think, they used a dive of a recording studio in the old East End. I have an image of them recording at some seedy basement with the Krays calling in for the rent..:unsure:

Very fine playing by Stu Hamer - younger brother of Ian, both excellent trumpeters.

Edited by sidewinder

11 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

I’d love to know exactly where that Harriott Melodisc LP was recorded. Reportedly it was set up by and sold at Dobell’s but according to the Harriott bio, I think, they used a dive of a recording studio in the old East End. I have an image of them recording at some seedy basement with the Krays calling in for the rent..:unsure:

Very fine playing by Stu Hamer - younger brother of Ian, both excellent trumpeters.

Yeah, Hamer really stood out on the first listen, more so than Harriott himself.

"Reg, give the bloke his trumpet back in one piece, will ya"

2 hours ago, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

btw that was the most ballz recommendation ive ever gotten in what vinyl are you spinning now-thread. this is almost a blue note lp

You don't have the Verve Elite Edition CD? It adds "Cats Vs. Chicks" to Clark Terry's eponymous LP. Well worth finding.

R-5349099-1416455211-3597.jpeg.jpg

R-5349099-1391194091-7106.jpeg.jpg