• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 21/6/2019 at 5:34 PM, sidewinder said:

61a7cz8QtyL._SX355_.jpg

Found a copy today of this rare Monk 10inch Esquire - the Monk trios.

Sonics - superb, with the mono switch on.

Great 10"!
The release year of those Esquire is a mess on Discogs. I assume they can be found individually in Jazz Monthly , but is there a source gathering all the 200ish 12" Esquire  LPs release dates ?

8 hours ago, adh1907 said:

Did you find this in Stroud ? Recent record shop there seems to be stuffed with 10” records. 

Nope - didn’t know there was a decent record shop there !

8 hours ago, aparxa said:

Great 10"!
The release year of those Esquire is a mess on Discogs. I assume they can be found individually in Jazz Monthly , but is there a source gathering all the 200ish 12" Esquire  LPs release dates ?

No source listing that I am aware of - Jazz Monthly and Gramophone are probably the best bet. The Monk is from 1955/56 (from an RVG master). 

4 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Good stuff!  :tup:tup:tup 

One of Westbrook’s very best IMO.

Edited by sidewinder

On ‎24‎.‎06‎.‎2019 at 6:48 AM, kh1958 said:

Donnybrook with Donegan (Capitol)Image result for donnybrook with doneganImage result for deodato 2

Deodato 2 (CTI)

Is this Dorothy Donegan ? I think I saw her live once, but IMHO she overdoes the piano a bit, very technical really, but maybe some pianists just think if the piano has 88 keys you have to play them all at once......, I like the piano more if it can also get out of the way, leaving space for the other musicians.....but if I here someone like Dorothy Donegan I always think I can imagine them as child wonders, beeing carried from one competition to the next, and then at some point they switch to "jazz"......

And maybe she was not presented were she expected to be presented, it was a small cellar club, fine but maybe not for her, she seemed to be a little lost and overdressed for that joint....... poor Mrs Donegan......

7 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Is this Dorothy Donegan ? I think I saw her live once, but IMHO she overdoes the piano a bit, very technical really, but maybe some pianists just think if the piano has 88 keys you have to play them all at once......, I like the piano more if it can also get out of the way, leaving space for the other musicians.....but if I here someone like Dorothy Donegan I always think I can imagine them as child wonders, beeing carried from one competition to the next, and then at some point they switch to "jazz"......

And maybe she was not presented were she expected to be presented, it was a small cellar club, fine but maybe not for her, she seemed to be a little lost and overdressed for that joint....... poor Mrs Donegan......

Yes, Dorothy Donegan on piano, with unnamed bass and drums. She does play a lot of piano. The album is okay.

Just listened to this all the way through, flipped it over again, and now I'm listening a second time.

R-3396434-1502626902-7731.jpeg.jpg

Jack DeJohnette's Directions - New Rags (ECM, 1977)
with Alex Foster, John Abercrombie, and Mike Richmond

Lately, every time I listen to this LP, the music seems to get better.  It's a grower.

Edited by HutchFan

2 hours ago, HutchFan said:

R-9409084-1480067657-6806.jpeg.jpg

Red Rodney featuring Ira Sullivan - Live at the Village Vanguard (Muse, 1980)

I dig Red, but Ira Sullivan is the one who really grabs my ear.

... Reading the liner notes, I see that three of the six cuts were written by Jack Walrath.  Interesting.

Agree on Ira Sullivan ....

Andrew Hill ‎– Black Fire

Gary Burton & Keith Jarrett

Julius Arthur Hemphill / The JAH Band ‎– Georgia Blue

Forrest Westbrook, Jim West, Paul Ruhland, Dick Wilson ‎– This Is Their Time, Oh Yes

Edited by aparxa

On ‎25‎.‎06‎.‎2019 at 5:50 PM, HutchFan said:

R-9409084-1480067657-6806.jpeg.jpg

Red Rodney featuring Ira Sullivan - Live at the Village Vanguard (Muse, 1980)

I dig Red, but Ira Sullivan is the one who really grabs my ear.

... Reading the liner notes, I see that three of the six cuts were written by Jack Walrath.  Interesting.

Oh, this really looks like something fantastic !