Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

used to see indie latin lps all the time, now i see none, but i have like Fiesta yellow label 78's n stuff

I tend to find them in bunches at Half-Prices, never just one, always a bunch at a time. And if even one looks like it might be worthy, I grab the whole batch. I'll deal with are they any good or not after I get them home, it's like a haircut, you can always cut off, but you can never cut back on.

it's a trip to look at their points of manufacturing, how this music of and from Cuba started coming out on all these labels with Miami area addresses, just think about that scene, you got a bunch of refugees wanting to buy records they left behind, and somebody's doing something to get the product out there, some how. The mind reels at all the possible scenarios. The guy from PanArt smuggled a bunch of his masters out, but some of this stuff, it doesn't sound like it's from any kind of master tape, if you know what I mean. And yet, there it was and if the back covers of some are any indication, it was there in abundance.

It's items like this, where the records themselves likely/possibly have a story behind them besides, oh, a lot of people bought this when everybody else did, and they all got rid of it when everybody else did too, that make crate-digging (if they still call it that, they didn't use to when I started doing it) so much fun.

Always check the "International" section, folks!

4 hours ago, JSngry said:

I tend to find them in bunches at Half-Prices, never just one, always a bunch at a time. And if even one looks like it might be worthy, I grab the whole batch. I'll deal with are they any good or not after I get them home, it's like a haircut, you can always cut off, but you can never cut back on.

it's a trip to look at their points of manufacturing, how this music of and from Cuba started coming out on all these labels with Miami area addresses, just think about that scene, you got a bunch of refugees wanting to buy records they left behind, and somebody's doing something to get the product out there, some how. The mind reels at all the possible scenarios. The guy from PanArt smuggled a bunch of his masters out, but some of this stuff, it doesn't sound like it's from any kind of master tape, if you know what I mean. And yet, there it was and if the back covers of some are any indication, it was there in abundance.

It's items like this, where the records themselves likely/possibly have a story behind them besides, oh, a lot of people bought this when everybody else did, and they all got rid of it when everybody else did too, that make crate-digging (if they still call it that, they didn't use to when I started doing it) so much fun.

Always check the "International" section, folks!

I always do. Last great find, a small stack of Indian classical records, all made in India. All fabulous.

Paul Bley Trio ‎- Blood (Japan, promo, Red)

Somebody has been enjoying Mister Joy a wee bit too much before, but otherwise a fine copy. And a great record!

Kenny Dorham Quintet - Showboat

The Gil Evans Orchestra - Great Jazz Standards (Manhattan Records)

Barney Wilen ‎- La Note Bleue

12 hours ago, aparxa said:

Paul Bley Trio ‎- Blood (Japan, promo, Red)

Somebody has been enjoying Mister Joy a wee bit too much before, but otherwise a fine copy. And a great record!

Kenny Dorham Quintet - Showboat

The Gil Evans Orchestra - Great Jazz Standards (Manhattan Records)

Barney Wilen ‎- La Note Bleue

Very nice line-up 👍 ....

1 hour ago, JohnS said:

This one definitely has its moments.

Interestingly, not an original but picked up recently as a new reissue. Other than the  shrink-wrap you would be hard pressed to distinguish from a Mainstream orig. Probably on better vinyl as well. I’m assuming that this was put out by BGP/Ace but doesn’t say.

a2875674712_10.jpg

Another new one.